Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need suspension advice

Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Need suspension advice

Im happy with the power my car is making, so now I want to concentrate on doing some suspesion mods to my car this winter. I have SFC, and LCA on my car and thats it. I would like to get my car more setup for the track, but still be streetable. I was wondeirng what are some things I should look at doing. I also dont have a huge wallet, so I would like some affordable things to put on.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lca relocation brackets and a torque arm

(assuming that by track you mean drag strip)
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Launching!

what he said, and an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

so what do you all think about shocks? a lot of the ones I find seem to be very expensive, so i dont know anyone knows of decent brand that isnt so pricey..

Thanks guys I will look those up right now, ive been looking into the TA lately..
Old 10-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Launching!

bilsteins seem to be a popular choice in this thread, but the koni/strano combo seems to be extremely popular for a good street ride, QA1's will work wonders for you at the track, but are a little rough on the street.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above! I would highly suggest going with a set of lower control arm relocation brackets. They are the best bang for the $ when it comes to increasing your traction performance and eliminating wheel hop. And if the vehicle is lowered or ever will be. I would also recommend going with a adjustable pan hard bar to allow to center the rear end back up! And another good idea would be when you are able to I would suggest seeing how its going to be a street and strip set up going with a full length adjustable torque arm and relocation cross member! Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...8r1afhhtng2la0

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some relocation brackets, try them out, as well as some QA1's.

How much stall is in the car and the rear gear? Is nitrous and your only power mod or am I to assume basic bolt ons??

a TQ arm will make a big difference too.

The one issue you will soon see is a dying rear end so plan on that.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nitrous, cam, and bolts-ons. Currently Im at 3500stall, but have a 4000 stall thats going i this winter. My rear gear is at 3.73 right now. I also have a new 12bolt aying around, I just have to get a housing for it.

thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

No Problem! If you have any other questions or problems feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ do you all have any sponsers deals going on, because UMI is probably what ill go with and im going to buy everything listed in the thread.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

I'm guessing you all ready have a good set of tires?

Depending on how street friendly you want to keep this thing I'd look into drag shocks and springs up front and drag shocks out back. It seems that strange is the suggested "budget" shock if budget allows look into AFCO.

How much power are you making? Will you ever think about moving to a more powerful setup? Have you or do you plan on lowering the car? Do you plan on putting bigger tires on the car? Whats the main goal for the car? ET or street cruiser or both?

~Jim~
Old 10-21-2009, 03:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
^ do you all have any sponsers deals going on, because UMI is probably what ill go with and im going to buy everything listed in the thread.
Hello
We don't have any deals going on at this time! But we are running a promotional standard flat rate shipping charge of $11.95. Feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-21-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97
I'm guessing you all ready have a good set of tires?

Depending on how street friendly you want to keep this thing I'd look into drag shocks and springs up front and drag shocks out back. It seems that strange is the suggested "budget" shock if budget allows look into AFCO.

How much power are you making? Will you ever think about moving to a more powerful setup? Have you or do you plan on lowering the car? Do you plan on putting bigger tires on the car? Whats the main goal for the car? ET or street cruiser or both?

~Jim~

I dont really care about street friendly, it can ride like **** and I wont care.. I just drive the car all time, and want to be able to still drive it. What type of springs up front, the car has lowering springs which is probably hurting me a bit. Yeah, im sure Ill move up to more power, just right now My 60ft sucks *** and im not getting my ful potential out of the car. My car Has good tires also, et streets. 26-11.5-16's . My car is making 500rwhp right now but this winter it should be making around 75 or so more hp. so probably around 575rwhp by next season.
My main goal is a fast street car which it is, but a damn good 1/8th strip car(which it isnt, due to me being a track newb and needing suspension and a line lock) .
Old 10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
I dont really care about street friendly, it can ride like **** and I wont care.. I just drive the car all time, and want to be able to still drive it. What type of springs up front, the car has lowering springs which is probably hurting me a bit. Yeah, im sure Ill move up to more power, just right now My 60ft sucks *** and im not getting my ful potential out of the car. My car Has good tires also, et streets. 26-11.5-16's . My car is making 500rwhp right now but this winter it should be making around 75 or so more hp. so probably around 575rwhp by next season.
My main goal is a fast street car which it is, but a damn good 1/8th strip car(which it isnt, due to me being a track newb and needing suspension and a line lock) .
Well if you really have that much power to the rear then I would say look into a different torque arm setup along with a new rear. I'm pretty shocked you haven't broken that rear end with that power.

Just cause I'm curious, what is your 60 foot and what's the weight of your car?

I would look into some Strange single adjustable front shocks with a 300lb or 325lb spring. I think at this point the TA and proper shocks and springs will get you what you are looking for. I highly suggest you get single adjustable suspension pieces if not double adjustable. Sooner or later you'll need them and you'll be glad you did it the first time. Also start looking at weights of the pieces you thinking about purchasing and see who has the lightest stuff that fits your application. Also start thinking about what type of ends you want (poly or rod) each have their own perks.

If I've learned anything from hot rodding/racing it's that you need to plan way down the road, because paying for the same piece twice sucks. Oh, and the word budget starts to become a number you're always spending more than.

~Jim~
Old 10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have spare 10bolts laying around, so no worries. Im also an auto which is a lil bit easier on my rear. Like said I do have a 12bolt setup sitting in the barn.
What type of TA setup would you look at then?

My cars 60ft sucks, I'm usually around a 1.75 60. my best was around a 1.65 I think. My problem a lot of times is my tires dont get heated, because im in the burnout box and I do a burnout and my car starts moving, I really need a line lock! Either way traction has just always been a big issue in my car. My car is full weight, All I have removed is my back seats, so you could say im full weight. I am going to remove the a/c out this winter and maybe look at some other things to move out. I still want to keep some things in the car though.

thanks for the help so far man.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

If you drive this car at all on the street... GET SHOCKS!
I have done: SFCs, LCAs, PHB, relos, sway bars, torque arm, and shocks. Shocks did more than the rest put together...with no downside.
If you want a decent car, get Bilstein HDs from Sam. These are good for general street driving, more comfortable, with stock springs.
If you want a nice handling car with no downside, get Konis.

Seriously, don't be an idiot (like I was), get SHOCKS first. Did you catch that? Besides, lowering springs + stock shocks = ****. Worst possible combo.

SHOCKS FIRST.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ yeah i noticed, I lowered with stock shocks and my car sucks.... So you says konis and bilsteins are good for drag racing also? bad thing is bilsteins maybe a little out of my price range, no off a cheaper brand thats decent?
Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Seriously? Bilsteins are $400. Your current mods are worth **** unless you are WOT. Otherwise, they make it more difficult to drive and wear out your driveline sooner.
You use/need/feel shocks every second the car is moving, under every circumstance. It's performance, comfort, safety, control - all in one. They are the single most important piece to complete these **** cars we drive and make them whole. Safety? Brakes, shocks, steering, tires - period.
If your car is nicer to ride in and drive, you will keep it longer and enjoy it more. If you have better control, you may actually be able to avoid a predicament that your cammed/stalled/sprayed car will help you in to...

You'll spend more than that on a SET OF TIRES, which only last 20-40k but not shocks which will go 100k or more?? You spent more than that on each mod you list in your sig...you need to get a reality check on your priorities. Once you put decent shocks - Bilsteins, or good ones - Konis, you will kick yourself in the nuts for not doing it sooner. Call Sam Strano, he may recommend the Tokicos too, or his revalved Bilsteins since you are lowered. Konis are your best bet, but it sounds like you won't be able to wrap your brain around the need for suspension like you did the "need" for a cam, torque converter, and nitrous...

You've gotten the best advice you're going to get...unless you call Strano (who will tell you a version of the same thing). Listen to people who have been there...or just live blissfully ignorant, not knowing what you don't know.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn being a little harsh arent we? If you notice I did make a thread saying Im in need of suspension and done making my car go faster. I also thought bilsteins were more like $900 bucks, and id figure id go with a cheaper brand then spend that much on a named brand shock.. yes though 400 bucks isnt that bad then.
I also never said I wanted my car to handle well, I want it to go in a straight line faster in the first 60ft.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:37 AM
10 Second Club

Single adjustable strange shocks are $140 a piece from Eric at midwest chassis. I think I paid $620 said and done for Double adjustable front shocks and 300lb springs. I would suggest 325lb springs for a full weight car and single adjustable front shocks.

If you are concerned with straightline performance only, then the only shocks you need to look at are QA1, Strange, AFCO or santhuff if you're loaded.

Billstein's and Koni's are handiling shocks.

What torque arm you choose depends on a couple of things. Make sure it is compatiable with the rear you will be swapping in the future. You have to decided if you want a stock style or tunnel mount. Do some research see if any one is having problems with certain designs. Also, look at the weights and how they bolt to the car. ( tranny tail shaft or of a k-member)

~Jim~

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need suspension advice