Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How to make my car corner!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Whoa, whoa, whoa....

First of all, most SS and WS6's do NOT have 35/21 bars. It was a option on Bilstein Ultra Suspension cars. Very few, very few cars have those. On the cars that did, they did use a 35mm hollow front, and a 21mm solid rear. Go ahead, follow the link... you'll see that 35mm front bar is a lot more expensive than a Strano Performance front bar is, and my bars come with better endlinks (and come included in the sales price). Then the rear bar. Yep, you can get a 21mm solid for a good bit less than my Hollow 22mm bar. You also drag around extra weight, slung off the axle (unsprung weight). And as a kit, you'll see that you can do my pair of bars for LESS than doing what TX_Stang4lunch is recommending--and, not only do you pay more, you carry more weight.

I agree that a 35/21 solid combo is excellent, which is why my bars are 35/22 hollow at both ends. But I can do it cheaper and better. I also agree that the 32/19 combo that comes stock on most SS/WS6's is well balanced when the rest of the setup is good, just not enough roll control.

My bars can be found here: BOTH are tubular/hollow, not just the front. Both come with all new hardware and bushings. The bushings are very stiff urethane (durometer 88 +/- 3 points).
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=126&ModelID=7
Wasnt recommending anything ... just saying that he may already have a sway bar that will work just fine for him and can spend money on other suspension components. Then i read his profile and his car is a 2000 model and wouldnt have that option. The 2001 and 02 ss and firehawk would have these size bars already and unless you are real serious it wouldnt be worth the cash to change them. The link wasnt to show him another option it was to prove my point .

To say that Stock bars on "SS's and WS6's are 32 hollow/19 solid" would be incorrect.

And yes .... your sway bar option is better for someone who doesnt already have this setup from SLP. Agreed?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, base SS and WS6's did come with 32mm hollow bars, not 35. In 1998, base WS6's and SS's came with a 1LE suspension less the koni double adjustable shocks. In 2001 and 2002 base SS's and WS6's were just a hood and a spoiler and had the exact same suspension as a base Z28. All suspension upgrades were an option, and very few of the cars were fitted with these options. It used to be all published on SLP's site.

35mm hollow front was available on the 1LE option suspension cars in 2001 and 2002 and the ultra suspension from SLP. These were very rare.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Um, it's way less incorrect for me to say 32/19 is what they came with than you itimating that they all had the 35/21 setup, when in fact very few did. All SS's and WS6's, unless optioned otherwise as Major stated indeed would have 32/19 (and the 19 is the same rear bar as any Z28/Formula/TA).

Again, '01-02 cars would not have those bars unless they had options that would have brought those bars. There weren't many SLP build 1LE's, or cars with Ultra Suspensions the two ways those bars were "stock". What you are saying is equivlent to saying all 2009 Corvettes make 638 HP because there are 2009 Corvettes that do.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Um, it's way less incorrect for me to say 32/19 is what they came with than you itimating that they all had the 35/21 setup, when in fact very few did. All SS's and WS6's, unless optioned otherwise as Major stated indeed would have 32/19 (and the 19 is the same rear bar as any Z28/Formula/TA).

Again, '01-02 cars would not have those bars unless they had options that would have brought those bars. There weren't many SLP build 1LE's, or cars with Ultra Suspensions the two ways those bars were "stock". What you are saying is equivlent to saying all 2009 Corvettes make 638 HP because there are 2009 Corvettes that do.
fair enough ... I learn something new everyday. Its funny how something that could be corrected with a 5 minuted conversation in person takes a page of posting. Im man enough to admit that i am wrong but that is something that i was told and the website's that i looked it up on seemed legit. The only reason i even thought i knew about this is b/c i was asked why i swapped my perfectly fine sway bar for a 35mm BMR. So i apologize for the misinformation and appreciate the patience in correcting my stubborn ***.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_Stang4lunch
fair enough ... I learn something new everyday.
x2, i had never heard of the 35/21 option before
Old 10-27-2009, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TX_Stang4lunch
fair enough ... I learn something new everyday. Its funny how something that could be corrected with a 5 minuted conversation in person takes a page of posting. Im man enough to admit that i am wrong but that is something that i was told and the website's that i looked it up on seemed legit. The only reason i even thought i knew about this is b/c i was asked why i swapped my perfectly fine sway bar for a 35mm BMR. So i apologize for the misinformation and appreciate the patience in correcting my stubborn ***.
Not to pile on, but BMR's front bars aren't 35mm, they are 32mm solid. Mine is a 35mm hollow, there are 35mm solids, but theirs is not one. If, in fact, you had a 35mm hollow from SLP on your car, and removed it for a 32mm solid, you not only added weight--but have less roll stiffness.

Here's the deal. Anyone can post "information" or put up a website. I know that often things seem true because they are on the 'net, but there is a whole lot of error filled information floating around out there. And it tends to expand. You tried to help based on what you thought was fact. But really what you thought was fact wasn't, and when it was passed seemingly as fact.... well this is how this stuff happens.

I appreciate the fact you tried to help the guy out, but it wasn't based on good information to start with.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: How to make my car corner!