Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

parking brake question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default parking brake question

Everythings good under the console. Already fixed that.

The problem is that the plungers on the axle do not push on the pad until halfway thru the stroke of the handle. The cable and lever move exactly with the handle, but its like the lever is not held in, and has alot of play before it applies pressure to the plungers. Are the levers supposed to be held in or are they supposed to pull right out, like mine are?

Thanks,
Wes
Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

It sounds like the brakes are out of adjustment. (Probably due to them not being adjusted to the last set of rotors that were put on.) Here's a thread with the procedure: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ightening.html

The actuating lever is held in to the mechanism by a rubber boot, which is held down by a stamped metal frame, which is screwed in to the back plate by two screws. What do you have back there? Can you post a pic?
Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the boot and stamped frame, but the boot is worn bad, and the lever pops out, if the pads removed. It will stay in when the pads installed. I found out just now that they did need adjusting again. I guess the adjustment was off when I was redoing my handle stuff under the console. Now its tighter, but the drivers side squeaks badly. Lol, i'm headed back out to take it back apart and try a different pad or something. Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 353 Likes on 322 Posts

Ugh - You may need to take the mechanism apart.

On the working end of the lever, you'll see a little "cup" that receives an actuating pin. If the lever doesn't work the pads right, you might not have the pin in that cup. (The pin then presses on the star wheel mechanism. If that's the case, you'll need to undo the screw holding the horseshoe pad in place, pull the pad up off the mechanism and then take the parking brake cylinder apart to get the pieces back together correctly.

Either way, with the metal frame in - the lever should not come out. (The frame is really the only thing retaining it in.) Do both sides pop out with the frame on? Maybe one of your levers is damaged?

Here's the source for new boots. To the best of my knowledge, this is the only place in North America where they can be had outside of a full rebuild kit! http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...0FH-Brake-Boot

Quick Reply: parking brake question