Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shock/strut help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock/strut help please

Hey guys, just looking for a few recommendations. The car in question is a 98 WS6 with tubular LCA's, UMI 3 pt subframes (LOVE them btw) for suspension mods. Performance-wise its LS6 heads, cam, 3600 stall, headers, x-pipe and 3:73's...and of course all the intake stuff. The car rarely sees the 1/4 or 1/8th anymore and I doubt it will again for quite some time. I never autocross either.

Future plans for the car are to take it from the current 400hp setup to 550-600hp. I want a good quality street ride but definitely want largely improved handling on the street. It has 93k miles on it and is still on its stock shocks/struts. I'm an idiot for not doing all my suspension before power-adders but hey, I was young and dumb. I've read that the koni/strano combo is a good one, but what else is recommended? Price isn't really that big of a deal.

Oh, and the car is not lowered but I will be lowering it about 5-6 months from now. Thanks for any advice guys. And sorry for the long post, just wanted to answer as many questions as possible before someone asks them.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If price is not an issue, then Strano/Koni's is a no-brainier for a street/track car. Yes there are more expensive options, but unless you are routinely driving the car at 10/10ths' you probably won't be able to tell the difference.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks MLS, I wasn't sure how they compared to other combos out there. Being an almost complete suspension noob, would you mind giving me a little more detail about the strano/koni combo? A link to the parts mentioned would be awesome, or part #'s or model #'s...I would just hate to order close to the right stuff, but still be wrong. lol
Old 10-26-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When working with Sam your best bet is to give him a call. yes, you can order from his website www.stranoparts.com but it's better to call because he can give you the lowdown on set-up and help with install hints etc. (800) 729-1831 Also, he can direct you to other parts to fit the way you drive and the way you use the car. That's what I like about Sam, if you give him the time, he'll get to know you and your car before he sells you one part. And if for any reason you are not happy, he'll work with you as long as you work with him.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Awesome, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll say you recommended him.

Quick Reply: Shock/strut help please