Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

35/21 swaybars

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35/21 swaybars

What effect would this have on an otherwise stock suspension?

Are these bars too big for a street car?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too big at all. I have the 35mm front on my car. Weather hasn't let me really push it much, but even general steering response feels more crisp and the front end feels more planted/firm. There has been no noticable difference in ride quality over the Koni's either, so I don't expect there'd be much difference with the stock suspension, but I may be wrong. I haven't gotten a rear bar yet simply because I haven't decided which I want, and I'd like to get more useful feedback driving with the fronts and konis before I do decide.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not as much as good springs/shocks would have.

While the sways will help with body roll, they will do ZERO for brake dive ...
Old 12-26-2003, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

ack, still can't decide between 35 or 32 front bar. I'm definetely getting a 21mm 1le rear bar though.

My wheel/tire sizes will be 17x9.5 and 275/40.

This is my street car and I want good road race oriented handling.

Anyone know what the current tech is for roadracing and swaybar sizes for cars running 17x9.5s?

Please help me out! I need to decide quickly.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

I just finished installing a set of BMR sway bars on my 2000 WS6. (My hands are still dirty). Anyway, I took it for a test drive and I am amazed at how well my car handles. All I have for suspensions mods are Subframe Connectors, Bilsteins in the front, BMR LCAs, and now BMR sway bars (32mm and 21 mm). All I can say is AMAZING!

Tommy
Old 12-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
I just finished installing a set of BMR sway bars on my 2000 WS6. (My hands are still dirty). Anyway, I took it for a test drive and I am amazed at how well my car handles. All I have for suspensions mods are Subframe Connectors, Bilsteins in the front, BMR LCAs, and now BMR sway bars (32mm and 21 mm). All I can say is AMAZING!

Tommy

Thanks for the info man! Did you happen to weigh your bmr front sway bar?

Anyone know how much the 1le front weighs?

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 32mm now.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01whitez28
Thanks for the info man! Did you happen to weigh your bmr front sway bar?

Anyone know how much the 1le front weighs?

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 32mm now.

I'm did not weight the front sway bar, but it is HEAVY. But for my needs, I rather have the car handle like it is on rails than worry about the .005 seconds slower it is in the 1/4...

I just got back from another test drive, and it is incredible. (I can only imagine what it is going to be like when I get rid of my all-season tires) Afer I installed my SFCs, I was amazed at the difference in handling. Once again I am more than pleased after this latest mod!

I like BMR products...

Tommy
Old 12-26-2003, 09:04 PM
Launching!

I have the BMR 32mm/21mm sway bars and they made a huge difference in how my TA handles. With the factory sway bars, I could feel the car dip down on very hard lane changes or very hard turns and after the new sway bars, it stays level. There is no dip what so ever and the car stays totally flat. The biggest problem that I have with them is that my tires are now weakest link. I can feel the sidewalls give on very hard turns.

I am still using the factory springs and struts/shocks for now.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I got 35mm 25mm on mine, feels great, shocks, springs and all done, that helped too
Old 12-26-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

I'm running 35/21 too. All i can say is wow! It handles like it's on rails.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

I originally wanted to go with the 35/21 combo but then I got worried that 17x9.5s wouldn't be big enough because all the posts I've seen about that being a successful combo for roadracing had 17x11s. I think that the car would push at high speeds too. Treadwear could be bad too but maybe that's an easy fix with alignment? I'm still new/stupid at this stuff but I try to read up on it every day and that's the impression I started to get. Since I don't know much about this I figure it would be safest to just go with the accepted norm of 32/21 bars for a raodrace oriented setup.

Man I keep waffling on my choice, one day it's 32 the next it's 35!
Someone sway (no pun intended) my decision here, what's best for my application?

I'm worse than a girl shopping for clothes
Old 12-27-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Well Whitez28 I hope this info i give can help you. I have 35mm front and 25 rear. Also the normal adj koni and eibach lowering springs. My car differs a little in tire selection that I run 285/40/17 they fit and don't rub. But if you start looking at this direction for tires look out because tires are not cheap. I dont have any track time driving yet in this car just picked it up at the end of november. This car drives like it is on a rail. No body roll to speak off and around town driving is great. Go with the bigger stuff and get it done with, esp if you have plans for doing any type of track driving.
The only thing I not really a fan off is the current alignment setting the previous owner had, Well let me change that Im not used to them!! LOL. The car does track around over funny pavement marks and indentations in the road. I guess that what I get for driving a race car on the street....
Finally tire wear, I saw what his tires looked like after 4000 miles in a week, and aprox 300+ track miles in the same week, Got love the One Lap of America. They were worn but not worn out, you could see where the extra camber took it toll on the tires, But thats racing. If I can help you out with anything let me know. John