Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Something better than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
UMI. They tuck a lot better and are coated (SLP weld in's aren't at all). 3-points are just that much stiffer than 2-pts and whenever folks want the car as stiff as they can, then 3's it is. But 2's save you some bucks (both in the cost of parts and shipping).

I didn't see you mention a diff cover before. I carry the LPW Racing covers, which are similar to (but I think better than) TA covers. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=45&ModelID=7
I didn't mention it before, I just saw it on your website. Haha sorry. So my list is as follows, the HP2, the LPW diff cover for 10-bolts, and UMI tubular 2-points.

How's that sound for my application?
Old 11-02-2009, 04:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Well, other than the diff cover not helping how the car drives, looks fine to me. The shocks will make the car more stable, and ride a lot better, and take a set faster. The bars will make it roll less and respond faster. The SFC's will tighten the chassis up a good amount without adding too much weight or breaking the bank.

I don't see anything wrong with where you are headed.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to do this suspension stuff again I would start with the Koni sa shocks first.If you can swing it buy the koni's.They are flat out the best.You would be supprised what a
great set of shocks will do.Next, I would get the Strano hollow sway bars and install them
next.Just get those two things and drive the car and see how you like it before you spend
a lot more money.The shocks and the sway bars made the most noticable difference.I did all my suspension mods one at a time so I could tell the difference that each one made.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Cause that is what his question was about.

if someone asks which shocks/springs will give me better handling and you respond sway bars, you may be helping, but you aren't answering the question. That being said, you are probably right. Sway bars do make a world of a difference.
I know exactly where you are coming from but as he said, he doesn't know much about suspension so he might come in here asking for one thing and it's our opportunity to say, "Wait, wait, wait . . I know you want a spring/shock recommendaton but let me tell you about a sway bar/shock setup first and let you decide." It's as if someone were to come in and say, "I don't know much about LS1's, could you recommend me the best flowing smooth bellow, throttle-body spacer and computer chip?" I am not comparing the original poster to some idiot - I am jus' using this as an example!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz
If I had to do this suspension stuff again I would start with the Koni sa shocks first.If you can swing it buy the koni's.They are flat out the best.You would be supprised what a
great set of shocks will do.Next, I would get the Strano hollow sway bars and install them
next.Just get those two things and drive the car and see how you like it before you spend
a lot more money.The shocks and the sway bars made the most noticable difference.I did all my suspension mods one at a time so I could tell the difference that each one made.
Amen to this + everything Sam said +1. You're simply not going to get better advice than this.

I'll tell you this, I have every part mentioned including Sam's bars and Bilsteins. Bilsteins did more than everything else combined. Bilsteins plus SAm's bars will make you fall in love with the car again. I will warn you, if you go Bilsteins, DO NOT RIDE IN A KONI CAR. You will wish you'd saved for the Konis instead of spending on the Konis. Ask me how I know...

If you're going to spend time and money on SFCs, get the 3 points.

Listen to Sam, do shocks and bars. Konis if you can swing it will make you happiest. You'll love the Bilsteins too, just remember, don't ride in a Koni car if you go that route.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not trying to threadjack or anything, but is everybody recommending the Koni single adjustable or double adjustable? I'm not looking for drag racing here, but more for corners/road manners, but either way I'd still like to know.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Generally Singles..... Doubles are overkill for 99% of folks out there. And in fact I own Doubles, but use Singles on my own car because I don't have the need for DA's. If you have a big-*** rear axle, that's one case where DA's would be something to think about to help with the massive increase in unsprung weight.

Now, remember there are more than one set of "singles" out there. Both 4/3 and 4/4's are singles, just offer different levels and methods of adjustment on the rear shocks.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right, 4/4's can be adjusted on car, while 4/3's cant, and have pre set adjustments....right?

After I posted I tried to find some more stuff out about these. Koni's reviews are amazing, and a set of those and your 35/22's look like the perfect upgrade for corner carving for under $1500....
Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Correct on the shocks....

Well, I think so. Cornering is what I'm into. I leave the drag stuff to the others. I can do it too, but I personally like hugging corners and with my autocrossing have a ton of experience in setting cars up to do just that. It's what holds my interest, so it's what I tend to concentrate on.