Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground Control Coilovers?

I was looking on ebay for some QA1, and came accross Ground Control Coilovers! I didn't know anyone else made a coilover kit for our cars! And theyre about $400, which QA1's are like $550 for just the rear! Has anyone used these? Is there any real advantage to using QA1's on a street car that can justify spending twice the money? I can see the shocks but you get KYB gas adjustable shocks with the Ground control, they may not be 12 way but still, its adjustable. So im looking for people who have used these, have experience with these, or has some good experienced input, like someone that works with suspensions systems for a living or something. Im not looking for any Joe Shmow internet warrior to feel free to just blast away any little insignificant comment that pops into his mind, so if you don't have something useful to say then just don't say it becuase you are poisoning our boards.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't come with shocks as far as I know. You have to order the fronts based upon the shocks you have. The rears are not coilovers, just adjustable to control ride height.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've been around for a while...just got done taking mine off of the car in favor of Koni Single Adjustables and Sam Strano's springs - they certainly weren't bad, but I honestly didn't NEED the adjustment. Once I had them set where I wanted them, I never touched them again. Sam's springs gave me the look I wanted, plus I was able to upgrade from Bilsteins to the Konis, so it was a decent (and noticeable) upgrade for me.

I used them for around 4 years though, and they worked well for me, especially since my car was a daily driver for at least half of that time. There is a decent selection of front springs if I recall correctly, but not sure about the rears. I wasn't a huge fan of the rear weight jackers (the adjustable part just sits under the springs unlike the fronts that have a threaded aluminum collar that goes over the shock itself).

If you are truly interested in something like this, call Sam Strano - he's a board sponsor that originally set me up with the Ground Control setup I used for a while, and he also set me up with the most recent Koni/Strano spring stuff that's on my car now. Back in the day when I ordered the Ground Control/Bilstein combo, Sam didn't offer his springs like he does now, and in order to put the adjustable collar over the Konis on the front would have required modification that would void their lifetime warranty. Plus I was cheap and didn't want to spend the money on the Konis back then...

I'm rambling at this point, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help. Sam would be your best bet for the most correct info though.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
They've been around for a while...just got done taking mine off of the car in favor of Koni Single Adjustables and Sam Strano's springs - they certainly weren't bad, but I honestly didn't NEED the adjustment. Once I had them set where I wanted them, I never touched them again. Sam's springs gave me the look I wanted, plus I was able to upgrade from Bilsteins to the Konis, so it was a decent (and noticeable) upgrade for me.

I used them for around 4 years though, and they worked well for me, especially since my car was a daily driver for at least half of that time. There is a decent selection of front springs if I recall correctly, but not sure about the rears. I wasn't a huge fan of the rear weight jackers (the adjustable part just sits under the springs unlike the fronts that have a threaded aluminum collar that goes over the shock itself).

If you are truly interested in something like this, call Sam Strano - he's a board sponsor that originally set me up with the Ground Control setup I used for a while, and he also set me up with the most recent Koni/Strano spring stuff that's on my car now. Back in the day when I ordered the Ground Control/Bilstein combo, Sam didn't offer his springs like he does now, and in order to put the adjustable collar over the Konis on the front would have required modification that would void their lifetime warranty. Plus I was cheap and didn't want to spend the money on the Konis back then...

I'm rambling at this point, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and help. Sam would be your best bet for the most correct info though.

Thanks for the response! I checked with the company selling these, and they said if theres a specific shock im interested in, to just let them know and they will custom build it for me to use the shock of my choice for no additional fees. I am going to be using different rims, street and track, and im going to use different body components in the future, so the adjust-ability is crucial for me. Otherwise id just go springs/shocks like i did on my ls1. Are you selling your set up? How do i get in contact with Sam Strano?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenp
They don't come with shocks as far as I know. You have to order the fronts based upon the shocks you have. The rears are not coilovers, just adjustable to control ride height.
Thanks for the info, the rears are fine, all im looking for is ride height adjustment. Yea you're right, they dont include shocks. But if you tell them what shocks you want to use, they will build them to fit.

That being said, since this is kind of a one time shot i guess, what does everyone recommend for a street car that will sometimes see the track, and adjust-ability is important. I dont know much about shocks. Id like to be able to get it as close to the ground as possible. My last car i used KYB gas adjust, a discontinued model now, but the reason for going with this shock, was it had a higher perch. Meaning it lowered my LS1 an extra inch over the stock shock. Since i had bought Eibach Pros, altogether it gave me about a 3 inch drop in ride height. Does that even make sense about the perch height? Is that something that varies or am i confused? Will it even matter with a coilover kit?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

www.stranoparts.com

his number is on that site.

I would highly recommend Koni shocks, but talk to strano about your exact setup
Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can definitely sell my old setup, I'm just not sure how much to ask. I don't have the rear adjusters anymore, so all I did was replace them with Hotchkis springs. So basically the only thing left of my Ground Control kit is the front, which is 400 lb/in springs sitting on revalved Bilstein shocks (back when Sam was doing the revalves).
Old 11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For the front the Edelbrock IAS is a good option for an adj. ride height up front. For the rear unless you can find some Global West rear ride height adj. lower spring seats, an ART rear coolride rear airspring kit with manual air valves is a good option.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Staging Lane

Im currently running the ground control kit w/ adjustable Koni's. My ride is very stiff, but i have it set up pretty low. Very high quality parts from Koni and Ground Control/Eibach IMO!!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

A few points:

1. If you are to run GC's with Koni's, that's fine. But it needs to be put out there that you must modify the front Koni's to accept the coil-over setup.... Those mods are obvious, and generally void the shock's warranty.

2. I do not at all agree with the rates GC sends out with their kits. And as much as their service sucks, what really caused me to stop buying from them was because I was tired of arguing with them. I've proven my setups time and again. Their front springs are too soft, the rears too stiff IMHO.

3. I find most folks assume coil-overs are simple to adjust and buy them for that reason. You can adjust them, but it does take time -- it's not a 5 minute job to do it right, and any tangible change in ride height in front dictates a new alignment too.

4. I built my springs to incorporate the rates and heights I found work best when I was running exclusively on a coil-over/weight jacker setup. In short my springs give you the heights and rates I settled on, without having to modify the shocks, etc.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A few points:

1. If you are to run GC's with Koni's, that's fine. But it needs to be put out there that you must modify the front Koni's to accept the coil-over setup.... Those mods are obvious, and generally void the shock's warranty.

2. I do not at all agree with the rates GC sends out with their kits. And as much as their service sucks, what really caused me to stop buying from them was because I was tired of arguing with them. I've proven my setups time and again. Their front springs are too soft, the rears too stiff IMHO.

3. I find most folks assume coil-overs are simple to adjust and buy them for that reason. You can adjust them, but it does take time -- it's not a 5 minute job to do it right, and any tangible change in ride height in front dictates a new alignment too.

4. I built my springs to incorporate the rates and heights I found work best when I was running exclusively on a coil-over/weight jacker setup. In short my springs give you the heights and rates I settled on, without having to modify the shocks, etc.

Thanks for the info. So what exactly do you suggest for someone like me, who MUST have adjustable ride height? Are you suggesting i use your springs with GC coilovers and Koni shocks? How about KYB AGX shocks? Any good?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I can definitely sell my old setup, I'm just not sure how much to ask. I don't have the rear adjusters anymore, so all I did was replace them with Hotchkis springs. So basically the only thing left of my Ground Control kit is the front, which is 400 lb/in springs sitting on revalved Bilstein shocks (back when Sam was doing the revalves).
I need more than just the front lol! But thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
Thanks for the info. So what exactly do you suggest for someone like me, who MUST have adjustable ride height? Are you suggesting i use your springs with GC coilovers and Koni shocks? How about KYB AGX shocks? Any good?

My springs don't work on coil-overs or weight jackers... If you HAVE to have adjustable height, then you need a kit that allows it. That means you could do a number of things:

KW Variant 3's which include the height adjustment, springs, and double adjustable dampers. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=148&ModelID=7

Edelbrock IAS front shocks, which have non-adjustable dampers, but coil-overs and Eibach front springs (race springs, not Pro-kits). But the rear shocks are separate, and Edelbrock does not make a weight jacker for the rear to match so you have to use standard lowering springs, or cobble something together out of circle track parts to get adjustable height.
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=148&ModelID=7

You can get AGX's or Koni's, or Bilstein's and run a Ground Control setup on them. Bilstein and AGX don't require the mods the Koni's do, but the shocks are less up to snuff on the damping requirements of coil-overs.

Or you can go with a normal set of lowering springs, like mine, and pick the shock you want to run--but then you don't have the adjustable height.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-12-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you might need an Air suspension set up if you're worried about adjustable ride height but they aren't cheap.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AR...0/?image=large
or
http://www.ridetech.com/catalog/Chev...992-937-1.html

I'm personally going Koni/Strano for height that's not to low but has the adjustability for a street/track proven package.

I've researched this a lot and there isn't any good/cheap way out.

Last edited by redracer1; 11-12-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info Strano, its really appreciated! I'm going to have to think a while about what to do! Ive thought about air ride, but too much $ and really kind of excessive. i HAVE to have height adjustment becuase im playing with the car so much, big fat custom lips, wheel spacers, narrowed rear end, custom wide body, i mean i have to literally be able to DIAL in the stance on my car becuase there are so many custom things im dealing with, i cant just slap on some springs becuase i dont even know where the lip on my new wheel well will sit! lol. What if i buy springs and then the lip rubs? Becuase i DO want the car as close to the ground as possible. Not to mention ill be running around for a few months before my new quarter panels are done. So i need it to work now, and then when the new lips are added to me wheels, and then when my rear end is narrowed, see where im going? Too may variables for me to be able to have a pre-determined height and stiffness (lol).
Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Black series from SEMA supose to be a little cheaper

http://video.streetlegaltv.com/video/11004
Old 11-14-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I need more than just the front lol! But thanks!
Get the ART rear cool ride kit and run it with manual air valves! Works great!
And you can use any shocks you want.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 11-17-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Ground Control coil over (weight jacker) kit on my car from Sam with Eibach 450lb front springs and 150lb rear with revalved SLP Bilsteins. Keep in mind this is on an LT1 car!

stock Bilstein (B46-1913) front 159 compression / 279 rebound
SLP Bilstein (B46-2071) front 130 compression / 397 rebound (better for lowered cars)

It may not be considered the perfect set-up but it works very well and suits my needs perfectly as it would yours.

The perch height on a front shock does control ride height however with the ground control kit you can manually adjust the collar that the shock perch rests on.
In the rear the only thing that is a little disconcerting is that at full suspension droop the springs are completely uncompressed. I've never had any problem. No "Dukes of Hazzard" though!

Quick Reply: Ground Control Coilovers?