Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ball Joints and Tie rod ends

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints and Tie rod ends

Is there anywhere to get some nice after market pieces? The VatoZone ones are garbage, I used them before and they suck. The dust boot is not even attached to the tie rod ends.

And the OEM's are 200 Bucks for all six(upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends).
Old 11-08-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moog makes top quality stuff. On my truck I ordered the the HD stuff and it is great but not sure if they have HD stuff for fbods. Luckily I haven't had to go there yet....
Old 11-08-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely MOOG stuff. If you can't get locally, where you live, several "internet stores" carry them.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

Check out the bear tracker tie rod ends. Depending on what your doing with the car, they might be very useful as they are adjustable to get the steering arms back to proper geometry after lowering the car, ect. I use them for autocross but they have made a large difference even on the street, most noticeable on bad bumps or road surfaces. A lowered car with the stock tie rod ends can (and will many times in my case) just about jerk the steering wheel out of your hands on hard bumps and things, but after the install I have not had it happen once.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XxWICKEDSSxX
Check out the bear tracker tie rod ends. Depending on what your doing with the car, they might be very useful as they are adjustable to get the steering arms back to proper geometry after lowering the car, ect. I use them for autocross but they have made a large difference even on the street, most noticeable on bad bumps or road surfaces. A lowered car with the stock tie rod ends can (and will many times in my case) just about jerk the steering wheel out of your hands on hard bumps and things, but after the install I have not had it happen once.
That's a sham. You don't need 'adjustment' as if you did the car would have issues under any kind of suspension compression at stock height. I have new GM tie rods on my car and don't experience any of the issues you talk about. I have no issues w/ "jerking" the wheel. Quality shocks fix those issues for the most part.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Shity tie rod ends will give you wretched bump steer, that I know.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
Shity tie rod ends will give you wretched bump steer, that I know.

This issue was discussed at length in another discussion a few weeks back. Hitting a bump, and having the steering wheel "kick" in your hand is NOT bumpsteer, even though it may sound like it.

Bumpsteer is when the lower control arm and the tie rods no longer follow the same arc in movement, (which is part of the original design) therefore the car will not follow a constant line through a turn, if the suspension deflects. This is generally caused by "home mechanics" lowering their cars with aftermarket springs, and altering the original design of the suspension.

In other words, if you're going around a turn, and go over a slight ripple in the road, the wheels will change their direction due to the suspension deflection, without the driver changing the position of the steering wheel.

The problem you're describing is simply a worn out front end....

Quick Reply: Ball Joints and Tie rod ends