Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will new suspension setup stop tire rub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will new suspension setup stop tire rub?

Right now my 99 SS has stock suspension (69,000 miles) but has 18" ZO6s with 295/35/18 Goodyear F1s on the rear. My problem is that when I turn, like into a parking lot that is slightly elevated, my tire rubs on the fender just a little. When I turn left the left rear tire rubs and when turning right the right rear does it. It happens once every couple weeks or so, but its annoying. Just looking at the car when parked there seems to be so much room between the tire and the fender (too much IMO - if I really wanted that look I would've bought a 4x4 truck). I want new suspension anyway and I have been looking at the Strano setup with Bilsteins. Will the new setup eliminate the tire rub or will I have to roll the fenders?

Last edited by 2000 SS #1305; 11-15-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

You are talking about the rear tires correct?

The main issue is most likely the fact that the rear end is off center and this usually causes rubbing on side of the car. What you need is an adjustable panhard bar which will allow you to center the rear end under the car.. this would then eliminate the tire rubbing issues you are having. Centering the rear end is very easy and can be done using a tape measure.

Below I posted a link to the items we offer. If you have any questions please ask.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_138_106

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I already have an adjustable panhard bar (sorry, not UMI) so this should be an easy fix. Still getting a new suspension setup, though...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000 SS #1305
Thank you. I already have an adjustable panhard bar (sorry, not UMI) so this should be an easy fix. Still getting a new suspension setup, though...
Yes it should be a very easy fix just get your measurement from both sides. Then jack the car up and adjust. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer for when you are ready to make your next suspension purchase.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=7

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Will new suspension setup stop tire rub?