Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

quick brake question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default quick brake question.

Doing a brake swap on the camaro. So far one side is complete with the tire mounted. It is extremely hard to turn the wheel (still on jack stands), is this the case with new brakes? I have done pad swaps before but never tried to free spin the wheel after the fact.

Will starting the car make a difference? If you may ask I am going the oreily's route with Wagner semi metallics and rotors. Had a gift card so why not. For my style of driving I don't need high end rotors and pads.

Last edited by redz_02; 11-16-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you have to take brake all of a sudden it is very risky...so when you take sudden brake move your sterring very fast so that it may not hurt you
Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leethomas001
When you have to take brake all of a sudden it is very risky...so when you take sudden brake move your sterring very fast so that it may not hurt you
What?

I think that it will be okay. Did you just put on new pads or replace the caliper?

Disk brakes are self adjusting so once you get both sides on and pump the brake a few times it should be fine.

Make sure that you pump the brakes a few times before putting the car in gear. If you dont the brakes may not work temporarily. I once watched a kid back into the wall in auto tech in highschool after swapping pads on all four corners.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just new pads and rotors, calipers are fine, so no blake bleeding needed.

Looked at the back brakes and they look barely worn. I think the previous owner changed them at different times. I plan on changing the back probably next month anyways just to get some new rotors on. Think after 11 years it's time to get some new rotors all the way around, but the front needed it more.

I should be able to mount the passenger side today, just giving enough time for the calipers to dry.

Changed the pads on my z71 about 6 months ago, and had no issues, but I never tried to free spin the front wheels.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Other side free spun easily once complete, so I pulled everything back off the drivers side. Ends up one of the slide pins in the Caliper bracket siezed so it would not release. Caliper is fine, but need a new Bracket and pin kit.