Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

got a lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a lowering kit

im new to cars. im trying to learn on my 02 WS6 as i go. i received a free lowering kit from my friend. I want to change out the worn suspension parts that will remain while i lower the car. He told me i need front struts and rear shocks. But in threads i was told 02 F bodys have shocks in the front as well. Is there a reason i need a strut? was my friend misinformed on his car? or is it because im lowering it that i need to switch to a strut. and if anyone has any suggestions on a good set of struts and shocks that would be great. I dont have a bottomless wallet so a couple of bang for the buck choices would be appreciated as well. (economy sucks for me right now but am addicted to this car i just bought this year)
Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1993-2002 f-bodys all have shocks front and rear.
I'd take a look at bilstein shocks.

BTW,the 1982-1992 camaro/firebirds are the ones with front struts.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:43 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the best springs out there is either BMR or Strano. Konis is the best shocks however the set is not cheap.

Stay away from Eibach springs unless you like to see your rear to sag.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bene
....Stay away from Eibach springs unless you like to see your rear to sag.

There must have been issues that developed in later years, as I've had the Eibach "ProKit" springs on my Z-28 for almost 14 years, and the car still sets low and level......
Old 12-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

My bad about calling them struts, still thinking I own a GTO.... anyways I gave him my extra set of INTRAX lowering springs, I have a 02 WS6 vert and I feel it gives the perfect stance. 1 7/8" drop on all four corners. I have never seen anyone run these, the car handles great and I always get compliments on the stance. The car is up on stands right now getting the turbo system installed or else i'd post some pics.

I drove Wildes car last night and it feels like my 05 E350 w/ 100k miles on it, suspension is very mushy, hahaha
Old 12-06-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfitter597
My bad about calling them struts, still thinking I own a GTO.... anyways I gave him my extra set of INTRAX lowering springs, I have a 02 WS6 vert and I feel it gives the perfect stance. 1 7/8" drop on all four corners. I have never seen anyone run these, the car handles great and I always get compliments on the stance. The car is up on stands right now getting the turbo system installed or else i'd post some pics.

I drove Wildes car last night and it feels like my 05 E350 w/ 100k miles on it, suspension is very mushy, hahaha
He'll also want to remove the rear bump stop spacers, to regain a little suspension travel in the rear(1/2").
Old 12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gtfitter597

thanks for letting them know my car is falling apart. was planning on redoing it anyway. With 95k miles i figured it was going to be worn. But to compare to your service van...harsh! thanks for the help everyone. I will be doing a lot of research to find which ones are the best out of the ones i can realistically afford.

Quick Reply: got a lowering kit