Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lugnuts, torque settings, and wheel studs, Oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lugnuts, torque settings, and wheel studs, Oh my!

I put the snow rubber on the car today and noticed that the lugs felt "loose". I grabbed my "dial type" torque wrench with a memory needle and decided to check the lugs. All of my lug nuts came loose with anywhere from 55-90 ft lbs. I last autocrossed about 1500 miles ago and that was the last time I changed tires and wheels (maybe 2 months if that). I always torque my wheels to 100 ft lbs with a high quality torque wrench (Williams, a Snap On industrial company). Am I stretching the studs, wearing the rims where the lugs seat? I've never had any get loose over time. I guess I could change to ARP studs and see if it happens again. Anyone else ever seen this?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh...and I never lube my wheel studs.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:09 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen it with new wheels.
They're required to be checked after 20 miles.
Maybe just recheck them after initial install?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

These are my stock rims with 32,000 miles on them. I guess I should have mentioned that. The wheels, studs and all have been around a while. The car is a 2002 Z with 32,500 miles on it. I've never seen anyone who just wanders out and torques the lugs on their street car. I'm wondering if we should consider that. I agree that it should possibly be routine maintenance (oil change and check the lugs), but in 1500 miles? Has anyone else noticed this with their car (before I swap all the studs to ARP)? I know we have had a few discussions about torque settings lately, but nobody mentioned any coming loose?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be stretching them some b/c you do AutoX with your car. on all of my studs i put antisieze. I have never had a problem with my lugs coming loose sense i have had the antisieze on. and i also do autoXing and some track events

Quick Reply: Lugnuts, torque settings, and wheel studs, Oh my!