Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

drilled and sloted rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
And also, don't Porsche 911's, certain Mercedes and Bentley's, and even the mighty C6 come with drilled and/or slotted rotors? Guess they only care about aesthetics too from the factory and never thought those cars would be pushed to the limits.. .

and yet the race car versions of all those cars run blank rotors. shitty goodyears also come stock on vettes. you think those are the best tires ever, just because they came stock? M1 5w30 was also a factory fill in many of those cars. you think thats the best oil to use? after the dozens of reports, of hard evidence on this very site, M1 is proven to be the WORST oil you could ever use, worse then even bargain store dino oil. yet because it came from the factory, you think its gospel?

you think no one has ever cracked a drilled rotor on the street before? do a search and youll see pics of pure STREET ONLY driven cars with cracked drilled rotors.

you can gab all you want about drilled rotors and their safety on the street. you can also bang hookers without a bag for 10yrs and never catch anything, but do you want to take that chance?

some people you just cant reach. this topic has been proven time and time again. after the pages and pages of proof, evidence, personal accounts, and professional racers opinions, if someone still thinks drilled rotors are as safe as anything else, then its their problem and their money theyre wasting.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

AdmAnt13 that is exactly the type of response i was hoping for

had to get you a little worked up to get it out of you though haha. probably one of the most valid arguments for slotted rotors that i've heard. your first two comments seemed to be suggesting that you thought drilled/slotted were beneficial, which i'm glad you clarified. i don't know enough about brakes to make a legitimate argument (although i could just repeat everything i read, like most people), but i couldn't let you make argumentative comments without explaining yourself. this is a forum, people need to read both sides to learn.

i'm sure the comments about how drilled/slotted rotors are just to sell cars will soon follow, but now at least we have your side of it. didn't mean to insult you with the appearance mods comment, just wanted a response.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Btw, a regular rotor has its faults too. Higher heat means faster warping.
Higher heat? Regular rotors have more material on them than slotted or drilled rotors and heat up slower....
Old 12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
AdmAnt13 that is exactly the type of response i was hoping for

had to get you a little worked up to get it out of you though haha. probably one of the most valid arguments for slotted rotors that i've heard. your first two comments seemed to be suggesting that you thought drilled/slotted were beneficial, which i'm glad you clarified. i don't know enough about brakes to make a legitimate argument (although i could just repeat everything i read, like most people), but i couldn't let you make argumentative comments without explaining yourself. this is a forum, people need to read both sides to learn.

i'm sure the comments about how drilled/slotted rotors are just to sell cars will soon follow, but now at least we have your side of it. didn't mean to insult you with the appearance mods comment, just wanted a response.
Well creeper, I respect you enough for what you just said. Guess I get defensive. Also, I seem to have meshed you and echomirage into one rebuttal so the angst was sorta misdirected. I'm done arguing with him though. The only thing I've learned NOT to take as Gospel is his opinion.

Sorry for the anger creeper. haha. And I was going to say exactly what you said, this is a forum, where people share knowledge and learn. Not be petty.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about any of you, but the only brakes rotors ever warped on me, were standard ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E

I put a new pair of $40 Wagner blanks from O'reilly's on the car at the beginning of each season whether they are needed or not.

You can clearly see I am out braking most of the field ... and using Carbotech XP10 pads.

So if you are warping rotors, you suck at braking.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Higher heat? Regular rotors have more material on them than slotted or drilled rotors and heat up slower....
Slotted rotors dissipate heat quicker by virtue of design. So you're not wrong in terms of physics, you need to keep in mind the purpose slots have.

Originally Posted by mitchntx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyhPrzpi4E

I put a new pair of $40 Wagner blanks from O'reilly's on the car at the beginning of each season whether they are needed or not.

You can clearly see I am out braking most of the field ... and using Carbotech XP10 pads.

So if you are warping rotors, you suck at braking.
You can easily warp a rotor in an emergency by braking real hard at a high speed. I'm not talking about racing at the track because you are obviously a skilled driver. But take for example something you didn't pan ahead for: You're driving along and someone pulled out in front of you while you were going 60mph. A normal persons reaction? Hit the brakes as hard as you can. Not what you should do, but that is 99% what happens every time. I bet that rotor will be warped. I also bet that slotted rotor will hold up better in the same circumstance by reducing the amount of heat expended while under that extreme condition. So no, you don't have to "suck" at braking man..

And personally, I never warped a rotor thankfully. I try to take care of my vehicles as best I can and not drive like a moron. But every vehicle I've known to have that problem, had standard blanks. My trans am came to me with warped rotors from the guy who owned it before me. (Thanks Bob) My company vehicle, same thing. And I'm sure someone will say, well almost all cars have blank rotors so of course that's all you've seen.
Well, I've driven plenty of cars, whether it be my own or someone else's with slotted (at least) rotors and have yet to see that problem happen yet. I'm not saying it doesn't though! Somehow people manage to warp their expensive Brembo's. But, what I am saying is: It happens less.. Call it money wasted, I call it money well spent.

Quick Reply: drilled and sloted rotors.