Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Soft pedal after bleeding the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft pedal after bleeding the brakes

First off this is not on my Camaro thankfully. It is on my neighbor's POS Ford Exploder.

Well, I decided to actually help him with the brakes today. All the hardware came through well, until I looked at the hydraulics.

His master cylinder reservoir was no longer really attached, so all the fluid spilled and leaked out.

So, I tightened down the reservoir filled it up and started bleeding the brakes. Yup, I ran it dry on the last caliper. . . . . So it shot air through the system again.

So, we re-bled the brakes all over again.

Now, they actually work fairly well. But, the pedal is still mushy. The master cylinder I don't think is leaking.

What else can cause this? I would say bad master cylinder or air in the ABS module. . . . Right? If it is air in the ABS module, how do you bleed it out?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I bled out my entire system, not because of air but bc I wanted fresh fluid in it. The pedal has gotten softer but it brakes just as well as with the old fluid. But general/normal braking it does have a softer pedal.........new fluid changes pedal feel? I know of another guy that experienced the same thing.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, in my Camaro was the opposite. When I flushed the fluid out. The pedal got way firmer. . . . .

Quick Reply: Soft pedal after bleeding the brakes