Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No rice or flames, but best way to RAISE rear for "Camaro rake"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question No rice or flames, but best way to RAISE rear for "Camaro rake"?

Yea, I want it.

What's the best way. Not 1 foot, just 2 or 3 inches.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Instead of raising the rear, it would probably be better to just drop the front. Same raked look, without throwing the entire back out of whack.
Old 12-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

A Moser 12 bolt raised mine.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, just put a 9" in it. Just my opinion, but a raked look is horrible with all the wheel gap. I say slap some 28" or 30" tires on it, and that should give you exactly what you are looking for without the massive gap.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:24 AM
Teching In

The reason is for ground clearance - I already sandpaper the front air dam when I back out of my driveway (I usually back IN to it). So lowering the front would make it worse.

(Yes, I have already used up 2 expensive diamond blades in sanding down the concrete at the end of the driveway, then finding it so smooth there, it was slipery with dew in the morning (yikes!))

I would LOVE a more stronger rear, and I DON'T want a set of chuckwagon wheels and skateboard tires, and that's not in the budget anyway

Weren't there round rubber inserts you could place under the coil spring?

(I already have those square 'bumpers' you fit between the coils, but I don't like the idea of stressing the spring at that point.)

I figure an inch or 2 won't affect the shock (well maybe for 2 I should get a shock extension - they make those, don't they???) or the geometry.

Further comments?

THANKS!

Last edited by emarkay; 12-20-2003 at 08:27 AM. Reason: clarifications
Old 12-20-2003, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.ground-control.com

Go to the camaro/firebird section and order the rear weight jacks. They fit under the springs and allow you 2.5 inches of upward adjustment. They are usually used with an aftermarket spring and used to fine tune the height, but with a stock spring you should have a range of 1/4 to 2.5 inches to raise the car in the rear.

In my opinion, shock extensions suck. I think you'll have enough droop travel, but check it to be sure. If you use a rear shock extension, you'll probably catch the axle with the rear brake lines (they will be the next limiter) and that could be very ugly if they fail.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: No rice or flames, but best way to RAISE rear for "Camaro rake"?