Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Please explain this to me...Driveshaft fixed, now no traction

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please explain this to me...Driveshaft fixed, now no traction

So I had a Moser 12 bolt put in about 3 years ago. I guess when the shop put my driveshaft back in they made it too long (had the drive shaft replaced at the same time). So I guess the driveshaft was puncturing the seal on the back of the tranny this whole time. When I had a real mechanic look at it he said I should shorten the driveshaft so that would not happen anymore. So now that that was done, I have terrible traction when I get on the gas (less than before). My car has been lowered and has Koni 4/4s on it which were installed before I got the driveshaft fixed. Am I now experiencing what others that have lowered their f-bodies are talking about when you change the suspension geometry of the rear? Will LCA re-location brackets fix my traction issues? My main question is why would it occur now, after the driveshaft was shortened? Please help, I love my Strano Springs and Koni 4/4s, but not having traction sucks. Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 01-13-2010, 03:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Ahh, a few things.

1. It's cold, real cold and traction will always suck in the cold because there is just less grip, period.

2. It's cold, you are making more power in addition to the tires being hard and the pavement having less bite.

3. You had a bind in the driveline, and fixing is also freed up some power on top of items 1 and 2.

4. LCA brackets will help traction by moving the instant center rearward. But all the suspension mods in the world won't help if the tires can't bite!
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-13-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So a driveshaft that is 3/4 - 1 inch too long would be a bind in the driveline. What kind of hinderance COULD that be (hp #s)? And wouldn't my UMI torque arm help plant the rear as well? I am not questioning you Sam, I know you are an expert. I guess I would just like a little more explanation.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd be guessing, but it will cost your efficiency.

The TA only helps if it's a problem with flex because the stock TA is flimsy and can wind up. Moving the instant center via brackets or a TA relocation bracket and raising the nose of TA is what actually plants the tires harder.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, thanks Sam. You are the man! Now I just have to wait to install my LCA re-location brackets and for warmer weather.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

I would also check the pinon angle.