Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what should be my 1st mod for suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010 | 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK:UFO
yea i read a lot about the sub frames and theres a lot of people saying that theres a big difference, and i know its true but i want mods for drag racing car, so im getting the shocks 1st then springs to firm up my ride to hook better and transfor the weight to the back where i need it
+1 on the subframes
Old 01-26-2010 | 11:45 PM
Teching In
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The front feels disconnected and "limp", while the rear feels overly stiff, and jittery and overall the car feels sloppy and jellow-ish right?
Thats the shocks.
On otherwise stock suspension, when you push the car hard in turns and it feels nervous and twitchy, thats the shocks.
Or when the rear end unpredictably snaps over in a turn, thats the shocks. And loose, floaty, disconnected, sloppy feel is the shocks. When the car bobs and weaves on bumps or at speed, thats the shocks.
I hear ya, but I think we are talking about different kinds of wiggles and slop. The jarring noises, unpredictable snaps, and bobbing and weaving over bumps stopped after the sfcs were installed. BUT, the car still has a quick bouncing, jittery feel from the old shocks that I feel the most on rough roads and when going faster than I should be (120+).

I put new shocks and springs in my old camaro, with no sfcs. The new shocks absolutely made the car feel better, tighter, especially over 100. But there was still a wiggle and flex and jarring noises that I don't feel in my new camaro with sfcs and stock shocks.

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I'm sorry but I don't see a modern day steel car flexing in turns on street tires on the street
I do.
Old 01-27-2010 | 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i would do shocks and springs first then subframes and STB or PHB with LCA's
Old 01-27-2010 | 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't have subframes on my LT1 and I do on my LS1

both ran LT1 pro kit with Koni 4/3s

I honestly didn't notice a difference in handling and 'flex'. I think the LS1 might have less rattles (but also 5 years newer)......

Good shocks are probably the best mod to do to a street driven fbody, but they aren't really for drag racing as much as handling and good overall street car behavior....

drag shocks are not good shocks, btw. They are good for drag use only, yes - but they suck for everything else.
Old 01-27-2010 | 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThumperNC24
I didn't have subframes on my LT1 and I do on my LS1

both ran LT1 pro kit with Koni 4/3s

I honestly didn't notice a difference in handling and 'flex'. I think the LS1 might have less rattles (but also 5 years newer)......

Good shocks are probably the best mod to do to a street driven fbody, but they aren't really for drag racing as much as handling and good overall street car behavior....

drag shocks are not good shocks, btw. They are good for drag use only, yes - but they suck for everything else.
I have to disagree with you on the last thing you said about the drag shocks. If you get a good set of double adjustable shocks (preferably AFCO), you handling on the street will improve, as well as handling when stopping the car. The main thing you have to keep in mind is that the settings you would use on the track will not be the same as the "street" settings.

Quick Reply: what should be my 1st mod for suspension