Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Subframe connectors, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Like mentioned above anytime you install a SFC's on a vehicle. You will notice a completely different ride quality and it doesn't matter what type of suspension set up is installed on it it will keep the dimples off of the quarter panels due to the weight transferring. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...qcooljf0hcjlh6

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are $4$ one of the best suspension mods you can make. They improve launch, braking, cornering, ride, you name it. One the subframes are installed when you jack the car on one side you'll see how much difference they make. The car no longer bends in the middle and its funny to see the rear tire up in the air when you jack the front of the car. It makes a huge difference in stiffness and it's honestly very hard to judge the rest of the suspension of the chassis if flexing like a noodle.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

i love it when people say that sfcs dont add any chassis stiffness then say that the car will feel worse over bumps. where do they think all that bump energy is being absorbed if there isnt anything connecting the subframes? the sky? the reason that the car feels more jarring over bumps is because the sfcs prevent chassis flex and its that flex, that "springiness", that would otherwise absorb those bumps.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
So your saying that the reason I have the infamous torque dimples in my rear quarter panel on a bone stock car with 23K miles is because I am running stock shocks?

I don't think my car is considered worn out by any means. But there has to be some flexing going on in the rear end to create creases/dimples in my sheet metal.
I would still start with springs and shocks.
Like I said.. There are exceptions.

But normally these cars are VERY stiff.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Resident

Striker-
It seems strange to me that you have a mostly stock car with stock suspension, and have torque dimples? I'm on my third F body (2nd built one) and have never had them, and never needed SFC's.

Are you sure it's not something else?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
Striker-
It seems strange to me that you have a mostly stock car with stock suspension, and have torque dimples? I'm on my third F body (2nd built one) and have never had them, and never needed SFC's.

Are you sure it's not something else?
Yes sir, positive. The car ran 13.60@106.9mph. I have a lid and a TB. The car never gets driven anywhere where its left alone where I can't see it so no one could have leaned on it or anything like that.

For what its worth, they are VERY minor. Due to the fact that I detail the car often, I noticed them. I dont think 9/10 people would even pick up on them, so I am getting them corrected in the spring with some paintless dent removal services. Also, koni's are in the works as well.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with Pro built7, I wish I would of talk with Sam first before I bought my SFC, I got 2 point weld tubular SFC from UMI (highly recommend if your car is dropped)
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So your saying that the reason I have the infamous torque dimples in my rear quarter panel on a bone stock car with 23K miles is because I am running stock shocks?

I don't think my car is considered worn out by any means. But there has to be some flexing going on in the rear end to create creases/dimples in my sheet metal.
Ok, assuming the dimples are actually from some kind of flex, consider the fact that the SFC's only go as far back as where the LCA's connect to the body, that's before the quarter panels and where the car would be "flexing" at. So even if they do stop "body flex" how could they help flexing where they don't brace? And that would explain why everyone still gets torque dimples even though they have SFC's.

The one thing that won't start a debate is the fact that the stock shocks suck. They cause the car to feel jittery, loose and "flexy" which cause rattles etc.
Think of it this way, if your car was being hit from underneath with a bat would you rather brace the car more or all together stop having it hit with a bat? The shocks are a problem, bracing something that isn't the problem isn't going to help any.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ok, assuming the dimples are actually from some kind of flex, consider the fact that the SFC's only go as far back as where the LCA's connect to the body, that's before the quarter panels and where the car would be "flexing" at. So even if they do stop "body flex" how could they help flexing where they don't brace? And that would explain why everyone still gets torque dimples even though they have SFC's.

The one thing that won't start a debate is the fact that the stock shocks suck. They cause the car to feel jittery, loose and "flexy" which cause rattles etc.
Think of it this way, if your car was being hit from underneath with a bat would you rather brace the car more or all together stop having it hit with a bat? The shocks are a problem, bracing something that isn't the problem isn't going to help any.

Ok fair enough. We know stock shocks suck. But I also can't see how adding additional bracing will be a negative thing.

I read up on here that a lot of members went and fixed their dimples and shortly after installed some SFC's and no longer reported the issue. I see where your coming from JD, no arguments there. I just feel that it cannot hurt to install some nice large 3 point frame connectors due to the fact that the car will flex in one way or another.

On another note, do the Koni's really help with the overall ride quality this much? I noticed even with my relatively low mileage car I get some interior rattles as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Teching In

get airbags!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, and yes this is exactly what I'm trying to convey.
These are the exact same things Strano will say if you talk to him on the phone.

Ok fair enough. We know stock shocks suck. But I also can't see how adding additional bracing will be a negative thing.

I read up on here that a lot of members went and fixed their dimples and shortly after installed some SFC's and no longer reported the issue. I see where your coming from JD, no arguments there. I just feel that it cannot hurt to install some nice large 3 point frame connectors due to the fact that the car will flex in one way or another.

On another note, do the Koni's really help with the overall ride quality this much? I noticed even with my relatively low mileage car I get some interior rattles as well.
Yes Koni's will help overall, many members have proclaimed koni 4/3 or 4/4's to be the #1 mod you can do to an f body. As far as the SFC's and placebo chassis bracing, again, they are not a "bad" thing, but chances are your problems lie elsewhere I would deffinitely NOT do sfc's before springs/ shocks/ swaybars.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would agree normally but most with SFC's say that their ride quality has gotten more harsh, and from my own experience its true. But with a stiffer chassis the ride should get better because the suspension should be able to work better and a more rigid body shouldn't be transmitting vibrations.
I have considered them just for good jacking points but im not going to sacrifice ride with no performance gain.

From reading on here I have not seen anyone get them and not have their dimples return.

For me they made a dramatic difference(and i had only ~40K miles on my car at the time), to the point where I wouldn't own another fbody without them, and definitely the first mod I would do. The car wouldn't slap against bumps anymore or get choppy on broken up pavement. Honestly very BMW-like, where the ride is firm but not jarring. Its creamy and smooth, connected to the road and very controlled. And of course there's the huge gain in stability and handling.
Right now the only rattles I have got are exhaust related.

Last edited by JD_AMG; 02-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

For me they made a dramatic difference(and i had only ~40K miles on my car at the time), to the point where I wouldn't own another fbody without them, and definitely the first mod I would do. The car wouldn't slap against bumps anymore or get choppy on broken up pavement. Honestly very BMW-like, where the ride is firm but not jarring. Its creamy and smooth, connected to the road and very controlled. And of course there's the huge gain in stability and handling.
Right now the only rattles I have got are exhaust related.

yea thats a good point
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

just got mine welded in...let me tell you it is a huge difference in handling....car doesent have a front sway bar and on the way to get them on i was very cautious around turns because of the instability but on the way home it was night and day difference in handling...also noticed the car didnt jump around on a launch, it just goes...deffinetly worth it !! was extremly happy because i didnt think i would notice anything...
Old 02-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

OkI read up on here that a lot of members went and fixed their dimples and shortly after installed some SFC's and no longer reported the issue.
As I said in my first post, I have SFC's and my dimples came back. I had them PDR'd out, and in time they returned. But the big crease in my quarter did not.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RevGTO
As I said in my first post, I have SFC's and my dimples came back. I had them PDR'd out, and in time they returned. But the big crease in my quarter did not.
That's the first for me! Did you install them with the suspension loaded. The only other reason why this might have happened is because your chassis is in a bind.. Are they weld on or bolt on?
Brad
Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Are SFCs also a "placebo" mod on convertibles?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Yes! even with all of the extra bracing you would think it would be more solid. But even in that case if you are looking for a more firmer ride and protection for the body panels. UMI Performance also offers both a weld on and bolt on application for SFC's. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...bdmlneempfps26

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...bdmlneempfps26

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shiv15
Are SFCs also a "placebo" mod on convertibles?

Like mentioned the subframes on a convertible are a different animal than the hardtops. The convertibles benefit much more then the hardtops when it comes to chassis stiffening.

We offer a convertible weld in subframe connector with more points of contact then any other manufacturer to really help add additional strength.

The listing for the subframes can be found HERE

Please ask any questions you might have
Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just had my BMR 2 points put on a couple of weeks ago. I have an audi and a 240 slammed on coils and both of those cars have much stiffer chassis than my TA. I got sick of the chassis flex in the TA and finally got the SFC's and installed em. Now I wish I would have done it sooner. It makes an amazing difference in the way the car drives and handles. You can actually feel the suspension working instead of the chassis flexing over uneven roads. And the tail end now just follows through the turn at high speeds rather than want to slide out from under you. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Quick Reply: Subframe connectors, worth it?