Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front coilover / rate reccomendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front coilover / rate reccomendation

Guys,

Just picked up a roller with QA1's (single adjustable) on the rear and looking to find something for up front. The car is a (mostly) full weight 6 speed car and will see track use probably 3-4 outings this season at most. Most of it's time will be spent ripping around the street, and I would prefer not to give up ALL handling. I will be running a full slick and 410s if that is of any importance. Should I leave the stock setup up front or is it worth investing in a set of F or R series QA1s? If so, is the 275# rate pretty crappy on the street? 300# much different?

Thanks for your input.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your main priority is street driving and you like driving the car aggressively, then you might want to ditch the QA1s all together. No shock will be able to overcome the low spring rate of the QA1 springs in a handling based application. It will still feel loose and under-dampened compared to a lot of the other options out there. The purpose of the QA1 setup is strait line weight transfer, which in your case, may not be ideal.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
If your main priority is street driving and you like driving the car aggressively, then you might want to ditch the QA1s all together. No shock will be able to overcome the low spring rate of the QA1 springs in a handling based application. It will still feel loose and under-dampened compared to a lot of the other options out there. The purpose of the QA1 setup is strait line weight transfer, which in your case, may not be ideal.
Thanks for the input! Is there a "better than stock" alternative that will still allow decent transfer at the track while maintaining some street manners?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

search.

or call sam strano.

Either way, the answer will most cases be Koni 4/3s or perhaps SLP bilsteins...

maybe read this thread - actually read it, I am not linking it to suggest the bilsteins

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...9-shipped.html
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bad94sup
Guys,

Just picked up a roller with QA1's (single adjustable) on the rear and looking to find something for up front. The car is a (mostly) full weight 6 speed car and will see track use probably 3-4 outings this season at most. Most of it's time will be spent ripping around the street, and I would prefer not to give up ALL handling. I will be running a full slick and 410s if that is of any importance. Should I leave the stock setup up front or is it worth investing in a set of F or R series QA1s? If so, is the 275# rate pretty crappy on the street? 300# much different?

Thanks for your input.

Hello
I noticed that you are looking into a front coil over system. And if you are looking for maximum weight transfer for both on the track and strip. I would suggest going with a F series with a 300 lb spring. If you went with the R Series the front shock is only valved for the 275lb spring (which doesn't give you a good ride quality on the street). I just wanted to leave you know that UMI Performance offers both Single and Double adjustable shock options. Below is a link to show you what we have to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...804db8gaferj91

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll be doing either the 275 or the 300# fronts. I'm not quite as "picky" on the street with the car and I would still like great weight transfer as the track, so I'm willing to sacrifice some ride quality if need be.

Is there really a HUGE difference between the 275's and the 300s?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the #300 lbs springs, ride nice on the street, works grate at the track.