Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

All brakes dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All brakes dragging?

For the record, I have a 98 Trans Am, ABS only (no TCS). I have also done some searching and haven't found a similar issue and resolution.

I am having an issue where the brakes engage after the car has been driven a few miles and do not disengage. I can drive around for a few minutes and the car is okay, but after I use the brakes a few times (on the highway, stop light, whatever), they stick and I am forcing the car to drive through it.

Some background: I had the rod from the brake MC come off the pedal a few nights ago after the retaining clip failed. I bled the brakes to relieve some of the pedal (rod?) pressure and pulled the pedal back to snap it into place. That's when this issue started happening.

The first time I took the car out after resetting the pedal and rod, the car started acting up. I pulled over, noticed smoke coming from the LR wheel and noticed it was from the brake setup. I thought the caliper had seized and bled it again, then drove home with no problems. I thought this caliper had seized, pulled it apart today and replaced it. The smoke came from part of the dust boot on the caliper piston melting to the back of the brake pad.

After replacing the caliper and bleeding the lines again, I took the car out for a drive and I have the same issue. All four wheels emit an insane amount of heat after the car starts acting up.

I am not getting any ABS light. Something is causing pressure to build up and not release, but if I relieve the pressure through the bleed valve, the car will act normally for a while. Could it be the MC was damaged when the rod overextended, or should I be looking somewhere else?