Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Chrome moly suspension parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome moly suspension parts

I've been looking into various suspension components and notice that many are offered in both mild steel and chrome moly. I know that chrome moly is stronger and lighter than the mild steel and that it is more expensive. I was wondering if I do decide to spend the extra on the chrome moly, which parts would it be good to buy that are made from this? Is it an issue of every little bit helps on the weight savings or is there some real performance gain from this? If there is a gain is it worth the extra cash?

Additionally I've seen, for example, UMI's transmission mounted torque arm has the chrome moly option and on UMI's site it just says, "This adds increased strength and reduces product weight". But the same product on the ws6 store has the added comment, "Caution: For Real Racers Only". Does this mean that the different materiel adds performance, but also harshness in the ride quality? Is this along the same lines as a rod end, where it's the best for performance, but would be inadvisable in a street car?

Anyone got any more info on this?
Old 03-06-2010, 11:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrx8200
I've been looking into various suspension components and notice that many are offered in both mild steel and chrome moly. I know that chrome moly is stronger and lighter than the mild steel and that it is more expensive. I was wondering if I do decide to spend the extra on the chrome moly, which parts would it be good to buy that are made from this? Is it an issue of every little bit helps on the weight savings or is there some real performance gain from this? If there is a gain is it worth the extra cash?

Additionally I've seen, for example, UMI's transmission mounted torque arm has the chrome moly option and on UMI's site it just says, "This adds increased strength and reduces product weight". But the same product on the ws6 store has the added comment, "Caution: For Real Racers Only". Does this mean that the different materiel adds performance, but also harshness in the ride quality? Is this along the same lines as a rod end, where it's the best for performance, but would be inadvisable in a street car?

Anyone got any more info on this?
Hello,

Thanks for the interest in UMI Performance and I will be glad to help.

The "For real racers only" is just a slogan... that is all. There will be no changes in performance or ride quality when using chrome moly steel.

Chrome moly has a higher tensile and yield strength than mild steel. This allows us to use thinner wall tubing when building items out of chrome moly. The thinner wall and increased tensile/yield strength means you get a lighter product with additional strength. So ride quality and performance will be the same with chrome moly as it would be with mild steel.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that answers my question. Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it won't affect the ride quality because I had been planning on going with the chrome moly on a few parts to save weight. Not that the car is going to do more than street driving, but I do figure it'd be good to save weight when possible.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a lot of money to save just a few pounds man. $105.00 more for the chromoly version of a tq. arm, for example? I can see if this was a stripper car for road racing only but it's a street car yo!

I mean do whatever you want, but that's my 3 cents (due to inflation) and hence the reason why I didn't go that route.