Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ok what happens if the rear end is already not centered due to worn out parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok what happens if the rear end is already not centered due to worn out parts?

Is there any real way to tell if it's not centered left to right and front to back? I'm riding on blown out rear shocks stock lca's and a stock phb. I have alot of slop back there and I can feel it, I can also feel that I think it's cause me rear end problems.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Step one is to replace the rear LCA bushings. Get Moog parts, if a set of aftermarket parts is out of the budget. Step two is to get an adjustable PHB, as A) it will have new bushings already it it, and B) if you're going to do anything else like lowering, in the future you're going to need it. No need to spend money twice on something, since I don't think the OE PHB's bushings are sold as replacements. IIRC, Moog sell an OE replacement PHB, rather than just bushings.

Then get a decent set of shocks. There will be a little "budget shock" here, as "parts house specials" like Gabriels or Monroes just won't cut it....A step up to at least Bilsteins is necessary, sorry to say.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get this rear suspension package from UMI and some good shocks. problem solved.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
get this rear suspension package from UMI and some good shocks. problem solved.
Hello
Thank you very much for suggesting UMI Performance. What happens to your rear if you have worn out parts..It will have a horrible ride and I am sure that you will hear some cluck due to it limiting out in suspension travel. And I would highly suggest looking into a set of replacement LCA's and Pan Hard Bar to eliminate this issue. As long as the poly bushings are properly greased they will last much longer than a OEM Rubber bushing. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...kbudlrrt2pk7a1

Thanks
Brad
Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
Is there any real way to tell if it's not centered left to right and front to back? I'm riding on blown out rear shocks stock lca's and a stock phb. I have alot of slop back there and I can feel it, I can also feel that I think it's cause me rear end problems.
Yes, there are ways to examine the centering. The best way is to take it to an alignment shop and have it checked.
You can also check it yourself, although it will not be as accurate.
This is how to check the left to right: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/05Mustang-PHR.pdf
Scroll down to where he is using a plumb bob and a tape measure, you can do it on your car as it sits now.

Front to rear you can check from the center of each wheel in a similar fashion.

If you can feel it in your butt-o-meter, it must be quite bad and can cause a number of problems.

Quick Reply: Ok what happens if the rear end is already not centered due to worn out parts?