Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

roto-joints are on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default roto-joints are on!

just this morning, i replaced the rod ends in my poly/rod LCA's from UMI because i had a rattle that was starting to get really annoying......i replaced them with UMI roto-joints, and i'm happy to report that they are about 1,000,000,000 times quieter than the rod ends were. unfortunately, the roto-joints were not available from UMI when i bought my LCA's.

the rod ends started out very quiet, but over the past 2 - 3 years, they gradually got louder and louder, until they got to the point where they are now. and it was actually only one of the rod ends making all the noise, the other one was still nice & tight....i can't even imagine what it would have sounded like with both of the rod ends clanking around back there...

there is still a very, very dull "thud" sound when going over some really bad bumps, but it's barely any louder than the stock rubber bushings....and i'll sacrifice that tiny bit of quiet for the extra rear axle articulation that i gain by using the roto-joints, no question.

without a doubt, i can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone that they get LCA's with at least one roto-joint in them....the handling so far is as good as the rod ends, and the noise level has dropped to almost nothing. only time will tell how well these hold up to daily aggressive driving, but with the roto-joints being rebuildable, i'm not too worried about that.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

oh, and btw....i also have a rod/rod PHR, and it is still as quiet as stock. i was thinking about replacing the ends on the PHR with roto-joints also, but i intend to get a Watts link at some point in the (hopefully near) future, so it would basically be just a waste of money.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this sounds like the exact thread I wanted to make last weekend but was too lazy too.

Last weekend I replaced the rods ends on my LCAs and PHB with roto-joints, and like mentioned above they are way quieter than the rods ends and the car still handles great. The rods ends were about 2-3 years old (15K miles) and got progressively louder and more harsh over the past year. I no longer have a can of rocks in the back of my car and the car feels tighter than it ever has.
To anyone that is reading this thread, if your car is a daily driver and are looking at upgrading your suspension components GET ROTO-JOINTS, less deflection as poly bushings without the harshness/noise of rod ends. It just doesn't make sense to replace rod ends every 10-12K miles and deal with the unnecessary harshness and noise for a daily driver.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Great to Hear Everyone! Glad that you are satisfied with our products. And thanks again for choosing UMI Performance.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Teching In

I justed installed the poly/roto combo and could not be happier with the improvment over stock lca, the car is planted in the curves and doesnt feel like the rear of my car is floating in space anymore and everything is quiet
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

roto joints dont work on boxed lcas right? they thread in like spherical rod ends?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Irish350
roto joints dont work on boxed lcas right? they thread in like spherical rod ends?
while they won't work on stock boxed LCA's (stock LCA's that have had another side welded onto them to make them "boxed"), UMI does offer non-adjustable LCA's with roto-joints on them:

poly/roto

roto/roto
Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irish350
Hello
Like mentioned above we offer them in both non adjustable and adjustable. Unfortunately we don't offer anything as far as a boxed LCA. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_138_101

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-30-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've have never needed adjustable LCA's on my car so I got the UMI non-adjustable dual roto-joint control arms, it's strictly a personal choice since the cost is the same, adjustable or non-adjustable. The non-adjustable LCA's does have larger diameter arms which does look beefy!

Quick Reply: roto-joints are on!