Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

street strip setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default street strip setup?

I have a 98 SS, i am about to but a 600hp 6.0 engine in my car and while i am doin that,the rear end,and the tranny,i figured i better do shocks and springs. I will be mostly street driving the car and taking it to the strip about 2 times a month, and i dont want to slam the car but make it a tad bit lower, does anybody have a good setup for what i am doing, any help would be great thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Sam Strano is the man you have to talk to!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the weight of the car going to be? What kind of suspension components are you running? Poly, Rod, both?

The norm for a street strip setup is Strange/QA1/AFCO front shocks usually double adj(DA) but people have turned in impressive times with Single Adj.(SA) Then for the rear the same shock as the front but depending on what trans you are running you can go with a DA or SA Here's a little tip, if it's a six speed car a DA setup is the way to go. I have DA on my auto up front and SA out back.

Springs for the front are based on weight normally. You'll be fine with the stock rear springs.

This setup is far more optimal for strip performance but it's not bad on the street. The days of high speed turns will be gone though.

~Jim~
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
I noticed that you are looking into a different spring and shock combination. And like mentioned above and to help with maximum weight transfer to help put that 600 HP to the ground. I would suggest going with a front coil over setup. With a 300lb spring for both street and strip. And seeing how you don't want to slam it. They will allow you to adjust the ride height (as long as you get the thrush bearings and spanner wrench for easy adjustments). And for the rear stay with the factory rear spring. And eliminate the spring isolators and slide a piece of heater hose over the spring. And to help keep the weight transferred so its doesn't unload so fast. I would suggest going with a adjustable rear shock. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...7hp3l5katkrpf2

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! And I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

I'd also look at a new adj torque arm, adj phb, adj lca's & relo bracket, with the new tranny and rear end you may need them to get it all centered. are you going to try and put 600hp down with stock size tires. if you go 315's it will help there also.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Ill have 500+ to the wheels, and i alreday have subframe conectors and lca's, which torque arm should i buy as in where it mounts?
Old 03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

^^ this is to work with LT's but if you have kooks LT's it's a diff kit.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

What is the best thing to get with what i am doing with the car, the tunnel brace or the tranny mount and if the tranny mount what about the relocation bracket?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bad98SS
What is the best thing to get with what i am doing with the car, the tunnel brace or the tranny mount and if the tranny mount what about the relocation bracket?
Hello
With that type of HP I would suggest going with a tunnel mounted torque arm, with a drive shaft loop for at the track. Now depending on what your exhaust combination your running depends on what tunnel mounted arm you choose. Below is a few links to show each tunnel mounted version I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...6t2g3ooet91a44

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

^^looks like the same one I posted up.lol.

I'd get the tranny relo brackets

Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BassProCamaro97

This setup is far more optimal for strip performance but it's not bad on the street. The days of high speed turns will be gone though.

~Jim~

X2 on that. I was in this boat for about 3 months. I wanted to have an 11 second motor car and then be able to take corners at double the suggested speed. That just doesnt happen. I finally decided that geting it to hook up was what I wanted. I bought a new rear, drag wheels, 28in slicks and saving for Afcos or Strange..

Most will say for a 6 speed your going to want a D/A shock (double adjustable) in the rear. For the money Strange is the way to go. Id stay away from QA1s. Some say they are awsome and dont leak anymore, who knows if thats fixed or not, Im not going to chance that with my money. But Strange and Afco seem to be what a lot of guys run. The reason for a D/A shock is so can keep the rear tires planted and from "unloading". A Bias Ply (ET Drag or Hooser QTP) something around that will also help the tires from unloading. A Radial once it starts to spin its hard for it to recover, so therefor you spin more. Iv seen plenty of guys go with a single adjustment on the rear with a six speed and do OK. My self as much as I race (50 passes a year) I will save a few dollars and get singles for the rear. Unless you race every weekend and need those extra .10s...I wouldnt spend the money. They have too many adjustments and more than likely never get to use a 1/4 of them..
Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
X2 on that. I was in this boat for about 3 months. I wanted to have an 11 second motor car and then be able to take corners at double the suggested speed. That just doesnt happen. I finally decided that geting it to hook up was what I wanted. I bought a new rear, drag wheels, 28in slicks and saving for Afcos or Strange..
Actually I don't see how thats not possible. Obviously you will be using different settings at the strip than you would be for handling, but I don't see how this couldn't be done.
For handling just run sticky (at least 275) tires all around, with konis and strano bars. Then at the track disconnect the front bar, and run the konis on full soft in the front with slicks and skinnies.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Leaving at 7000 I dont see how the Konis could keep the tires from Unloading.. idk..Konis/strano is what I REALLY want for comfort but its becoming more a race car everyday..
Old 03-20-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 223HAWK
Leaving at 7000 I dont see how the Konis could keep the tires from Unloading.. idk..Konis/strano is what I REALLY want for comfort but its becoming more a race car everyday..
Its going to be more about the tires than the shocks.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html
Old 03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

No ****..Wow. Me and Sam talked about this car and I wasnt sure..Good thing I havent orded anything yet! I might be looking at this because ride comfort is a big thing to me!!
Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Surely he was using the Double adjustables front and rear...but wow!! I now have proof and am sold!

Quick Reply: street strip setup?