What would be the best suspension upgrades for:

1. Drag Racing
2.Daily Driver/Best all around
3.Motocross/Handling

Also what are the best brake upgrades?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search, there's a lot of information out there....

I don't have much experience with #1, but for #2 I'd recommend:
-Koni SA's (or Bilsteins if you are looking to spend less)
-Strano springs (or stockers if you're looking to increase ride quality/launching a little bit more)
-LCA's (you don't need adjustable unless you have an aftermarket rear, poly/roto or roto/roto (UMI is good) will work)
-PHB (single adjustable is a good idea, either roto/roto or poly/roto through UMI )
-LCA RB's (not necessary, but if you're looking to improve launching and you have traction issues with a lowered car it can help)
-Maybe a torque arm (full length for street definitely, also, a relocation bracket to get the load off of the transmission would help too, and might help prevent a breakage later on!)

for 3, I'd pick everything from the list above, except recommend Koni/Strano springs even more, and opt for a Watts link over a PHB.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6r
Do a search, there's a lot of information out there....

I don't have much experience with #1, but for #2 I'd recommend:
-Koni SA's (or Bilsteins if you are looking to spend less)
-Strano springs (or stockers if you're looking to increase ride quality/launching a little bit more)
-LCA's (you don't need adjustable unless you have an aftermarket rear, poly/roto or roto/roto (UMI is good) will work)
-PHB (single adjustable is a good idea, either roto/roto or poly/roto through UMI )
-LCA RB's (not necessary, but if you're looking to improve launching and you have traction issues with a lowered car it can help)
-Maybe a torque arm (full length for street definitely, also, a relocation bracket to get the load off of the transmission would help too, and might help prevent a breakage later on!)

for 3, I'd pick everything from the list above, except recommend Koni/Strano springs even more, and opt for a Watts link over a PHB.
I was under the impression after looking into konis that they are more for drag and you will sacrifice ride quality on a street driven vehicle. I heard bilsteins are the way to go as far as streetability/comfort for a dd car. Correct me if I am wrong because I am actually looking into some suspension work as my first mods and along with a PHB, LCAs, and LCARB from UMI, shocks are on the to do list. As of now I was looking at bilsteins based upon what I mentioned above.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beyonddisturbed
I was under the impression after looking into konis that they are more for drag and you will sacrifice ride quality on a street driven vehicle.
You've heard wrong. Koni's are meant for cornering/autox/street. They're great for DD'ing and help the car handle on the corners, although some do find that Koni's are a bit too firm, but it helps that they're fully adjustable.

I heard bilsteins are the way to go as far as streetability/comfort for a dd car.
Bilsteins are still a good shock too, 2nd to the Koni's. They are a bit softer and don't last as long, but are a good alternative. I have also heard that they are more comfortable than Koni's, but the Koni's offer better performance/durability.

Correct me if I am wrong because I am actually looking into some suspension work as my first mods and along with a PHB, LCAs, and LCARB from UMI, shocks are on the to do list. As of now I was looking at bilsteins based upon what I mentioned above.
So corrected, lol. Bilsteins, once again, are a good shock, but the Koni's are a in a class above. Both will do well for a corner carver/street machine, but the Koni's offer a tighter ride, adjustability, work well with a variety of springs, and last longer than others.

If you do a search on here, you'll find a lot of information that might help you decide between the two. There's a big thread about SLP Bilsteins on sale by Sam Strano that has a lot of information there.

BTW, Sam is the man to talk to to get more answers, but don't jerk his chain, get his help if you plan on buying from him, not just because he's convenient. He has a ton of experience using different set ups and can really help you out. He's also a sponsor on here.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoosh
What would be the best suspension upgrades for:

1. Drag Racing
2.Daily Driver/Best all around
3.Motocross/Handling

Also what are the best brake upgrades?
I think you mean autox. For motocross, you could probably drive right through all the motorbikes

What's the best? Hmmm that's a really vague question. Your going to get like a million different opinions and tons of misinformation in here. Your going to get answers from people saying "I heard from a few buddies of mine that this is good for handling..". Some aspects of ride quality and handling can be personal preference, so in that case only you would know what "the best" is.

My suspension opinion...
1. I don't know
2. Konis only with stock everything else, or Konis, stranos, and swaybars... I would have to go back and compare. It's been a while since I rode on a stock/koni car. The latter setup is very good for daily driving
3. Konis, stranos, and swaybars to start out

My brake opinion
1. Again I don't know... drag racing seems to be all about "how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?". You can be chasing 1/4 mile numbers for a while. You gotta spend more money to get faster though
2 and 3.. I've been using HPS hawks with good blank rotors and never tried a stronger pad. I would guess though that if Strano uses HPS all around on his 4th gen then they are probably good enough. I think I read in that GM HP article of Sam that the HPS prevents "overbraking" I guess in case you put too much foot into the brake. I am a buyer of that idea. So I would say (in my opinion) that a decent street pad like HPS with a good blank or ATE rotor would be good enough for both worlds. Clean fluid of course with regular brake maintenance.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I think you mean autox. For motocross, you could probably drive right through all the motorbikes
Haha yeah thats what I meant. Although I guess if I could keep up I could just run them all down lol

Quick Reply: best setup Camaro/Firebird