Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Alignment Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Alignment Help!

My car was pulling to the right, so i figured I needed an alignment. I'm driving about 3 hours to Orlando this weekend and wanted it done before I went so I didnt kill what's left of my tires, and took the car in today. Long story short and to say the least, my car is still pulling to the right. What's even worse is that originally when my steering wheel was straight up and down it would pull to the right, and now it ***** to the right a little about (top center is in between 12:00-1:00 if picturing a clock). I have OCD, and it consequently drives me NUTS looking at it. One cause my friends and I thought of could be the fact that the car went so long without an alignment that the tires wore uneven, and are now making my car pull even though everything is aligned. If this is the case, how long would it take for my tires to wear back to normal and have me driving straight again? (tires have about 15% tread life left). My front suspension mods are an Eibach Pro Lowering Kit and Bilstein shocks. Here is the info from the alignment sheet (all are "after/current" numbers):

Left Front
Camber - 0.2*
Caster - 5.2*
Toe - 0.01*

Right Front
Camber - 0.3*
Caster - 5.0*
Toe - 0.02*

Total Toe - 0.03*

Steer Ahead - 0.00*

Thrust Angle - 0.22*

Do you guys think that the .2* of caster is making that big of a difference? Any and all help is greatly appreciated...
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Teching In

nobody?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Subscribing
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

yep that caster will cause the car to pull right , will move to right the width of car in about a block. you need about +0.50 to + 0.70 lead on right, I like a little more toe
( about 1/16 you have 1/32) you may rotate tires which MAY help with pull but even with good tire it will still pull right with that caster.The caster or tires or sloppy setting by tech MAY cause center steering to be off. The rear thrust line offset may push alittle BUT ONLY on a very hard laungh. MY car likes about + 0.03,you need to stay within 0.13. Repete: rear thrust may only make a differance under very hard laungh
just my $0.02'
Johnny
Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Teching In

so should i take it back and have him "fix" it? He said that since the car was lowered and has so much suspension work it is impossible to get everything perfect...
Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kTrainHurricane
so should i take it back and have him "fix" it? He said that since the car was lowered and has so much suspension work it is impossible to get everything perfect...
BS. Its not like the aftermarket stuff isnt able to adjust! Hell, it should adjust easier and hold the settings longer because its tighter tolerances on stiffer components. Now if your components arent matched and something is at its adjustable limits and will not adjust further, THEN you got a problem. If so, find the component that is too long/short and get a new one or one from a different vendor that matches OEM length. $.002
Old 03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

.2 on caster is not gonna cause a pull.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Teching In

anybody else want to chime in? i appreciate all the responses so far...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Your thrust angle perhaps? I think .1 and lower is called in for spec, however it might be .2 and lower, can't remember. I dialed mine in by adjusting the panhard and passenger side lower control arm while on the rack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

When I got mine alligned last month, for caster I went with -4.75 and toe in at zero.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

I think those measurements are fine. I saw the part where you said whats left of your tires. I would guess its tire pull, swap the left side to the right and see if it pulls the other way.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
I think those measurements are fine. I saw the part where you said whats left of your tires. I would guess its tire pull, swap the left side to the right and see if it pulls the other way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Need Alignment Help!