Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

double adjustable suspension install questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default double adjustable suspension install questions

So I'm trying to cut down on modding expenses when installing my S60 so I decided to install it myself along with Spohn adj. lca's, adj. panhard bar, adj. torque arm and drag sway bar. The S60 has the welded brackets for the lca's cuz my car is lowered and the sway bar provisions welded on it as well. What I want to know is what method of installing these adjustable parts should I use for best results in order to make the adjustment easier once the car is on the ground? Should I extend each part to the same length as the stock part to start off, hook up everything to the rearend and sit the car on the ground to start centering the rearend or what? In what angle do the double adj. lca's go or what? The torque arm is the Spohn standard duty crossmember mounted one. The panhard bar is double adjustable as well. I'm not a great mechanic but my brother is and he's the one helping me on this so any advice would sure be appreciated! Let me know guys.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Just a few suggestions for you! When UMI Performance ships parts they are pre set to factory specs. And when doing the install I would suggest getting your center/center locations and start off at stock settings. And when installing the LCA's make sure you do one side at a time. To eliminate any issues with the rear shifting. And when installing the PHB install the chassis side first. And then the rear when you get the correct adjustment. But don't tighten anything down until the suspension is loaded and then adjust your pinion angle as well then. I am sure those few suggestions can be help for you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

How do you use the angle finder for the pinion angle on the torque arm/rearend? Dumb question but I had never done this so pardon my ignorance!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, so the rearend is bolted up, lca's bolted up, panhard bar bolted up, torque arm bolted up, and the car is still on jackstands cuz the last thing I did today was grind the damn calipers so the rear prostars would fit. All these parts were put at stock length the only one I had to adjust were both lca's in order to get the torque arm on. First thing tomorrow comes the adjusting and centering but how do you suggest I do it? Do I put the tires on and lower it then start centering and adjusting sh*t? Or do I jack up the rearend to try and start adjusting and centering the rearend or what?

This is the first time I do this so as you can probably figure it's been a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ***! Please any advice will be really appreciated guys I really wanna adjust this as best I can without setting the correct pinion angle(since I don't have the tool) and I'm gonna drive the car to somebody to do that for me as well as the tuning and Interface install.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

subscribed
Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by conde'strans
How do you use the angle finder for the pinion angle on the torque arm/rearend? Dumb question but I had never done this so pardon my ignorance!
Hello
Just place the angle finder on the mounting bracket of the torque arm and then place the angle finder on the Drive Shaft. (If you need help with adjusting the pinion angle rather then try to explain it by typing feel free to give me a call and I will be more than glad to explain over the phone (it will be less confusing).
Thanks
Brad
Ok, so the rearend is bolted up, lca's bolted up, panhard bar bolted up, torque arm bolted up, and the car is still on jackstands cuz the last thing I did today was grind the damn calipers so the rear prostars would fit. All these parts were put at stock length the only one I had to adjust were both lca's in order to get the torque arm on. First thing tomorrow comes the adjusting and centering but how do you suggest I do it? Do I put the tires on and lower it then start centering and adjusting sh*t? Or do I jack up the rearend to try and start adjusting and centering the rearend or what?

This is the first time I do this so as you can probably figure it's been a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ***! Please any advice will be really appreciated guys I really wanna adjust this as best I can without setting the correct pinion angle(since I don't have the tool) and I'm gonna drive the car to somebody to do that for me as well as the tuning and Interface install.
To get the rear end centered under the vehicle side/side using a adjustable pan hard bar. Use a piece of string and tape it to the center of the rear fender (plum ball) and then get your measurement and then adjust until you get the correct measurement on both sides. And then for your adjustable LCA's just measure from your fender to the center cap or edge of the wheel. And make sure you don't tighten any hardware up until the suspension is loaded. A lot of manufactures preset the control arm to factory specs. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
Brad
Old 03-22-2010, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Thankyou very much UMI you've been very helpful!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Thankyou very much UMI you've been very helpful!
No Problem! That's what we are here for.
Thanks Again
Brad

Quick Reply: double adjustable suspension install questions