Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI A-arms. worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by litle88
I got them and I tried them on some nasty curves up here in the Chicago area and I like the feel and the new ride characteristics! It feel a little smoother! The alignment shop had an easy time getting to my prefered specs with no problem!
Great to hear! And thanks for choosing UMI Performance.
Thanks
Brad
Old 03-29-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad,
Any chance in the future does UMI have plans for a full auto-cross/road race set of TRUE upper and lower A arms? If you look at 1st & 2nd gen Camaros there are a lot of coil over upper/lower a arm set ups and even entire front clips. Seem to me there's a market for it for 4th gens. What are your thoughts.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redracer1
Brad,
Any chance in the future does UMI have plans for a full auto-cross/road race set of TRUE upper and lower A arms? If you look at 1st & 2nd gen Camaros there are a lot of coil over upper/lower a arm set ups and even entire front clips. Seem to me there's a market for it for 4th gens. What are your thoughts.
Hello
Thanks for the great question. Yes. we actually already have coil over set up for road race applications. It just depends on what spring rate you are interested in. Below is a link to show you what I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_110_159

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-04-2010, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by krazykarl454
V7guy i like that idea? did u use like johny joint or a heim? was it just for the rear rubber verticle mount? or both? any pics? thats more my style build it instead of buy it.
I used the GW kit for the lower A arms. they do require some skill to weld in and they also require some skill to R&R. Ideally I would have liked arms like LG used to make so I could easily replace the rod ends, but they don't offer them anymore and have no plans to start production again. in the end the GW kit gave me all the benefits of the BMR A arms and I had with no worries about the shock mount failing. Alan Blaine did the tig work and I've been a pretty happy camper ever since.

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
With the rod-ends instead of rubber bushing you won't get the constant variation in the geometry you do with the factory rubber bushings, sharper steering turn-in , and better road feel are two benefits i noticed with my UMI lower A-arms on my car. You can get the same effect by changing the stock rubber bushings to GW spherical bearing kit(Part# SP-7), but that's still $310, just $70 less then buying new UMI A-arms.
I haven't had and problems with mine running 625 lb.in. spring rates, but I've got the Chrome Moly version.
99Bluz28 is correct, the rod ends remove the compliant bushings... they also add a bit of NVH, but I was happy with them. by definition though they do not change the geometry. they make the factory design work better and the factory design is pretty darned good.
The BMR arms made a serious difference in the steering feel of the car. I was VERY disappointed when the shock mount started to fail. i was hesitant to go to a similar design by UMI (even though I've become a big fan after they consulted,built and tested a roadrace K member). the next best thing was the GW kit. I bought used factory a arms, then the GW kit, then mailed it all out to California for install then got them back and installed. I spent more than the BMR or UMI arms when it was all said and done to get something i felt reliable. After all, who wants to loose a coilover while driving down the road or track. I t would be bad on an EPIC scale.

with that said I do run bilstein racing coilover shocks, 650lb springs and a 35mm front swaybar with 4pot brembos and 315s on the front, there is nothing but rod ends or spherical bearings in the front suspension. The BMR arms may have been in unfamiliar territory. The UMI or BMR arms may work great for you even though the design is principally unsound from an engineering perspective.

UMI... any chance you would make a design similar to the LG ones that were so coveted now and years ago? you'd get a lot of good PR from the roadrace guys! lol
Old 04-04-2010, 08:44 PM
12 Second Club

Yes-I would be very interested in A-arms that LG offered. The factory are nice. And Ive used aftermarket style that did fail like you described. Just saying if they ask.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Ya that's the question I was actually asking also. A arms not coil over, I'm already running Koni/Strano.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i got some tubular upper arms........after taking the stockers off..... i was amazed at how flimsy the stockers are compare to the tubulars.......just as flimsy as the rear panhard.....and we ALL know how crappy the stock PHB is.......you cant go wrong with a set of tubulars
Old 12-11-2017, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive had two sets and like the way they felt, also was way easier to change the ball joint unlike the stock arm, unless you remove the rivits.

Quick Reply: UMI A-arms. worth it?