Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they're loose, you feel the *** end of the car loose too. It will sway just a bit from side to side. The directions aren't exactly user friendly either. "Don't grease, don't overtighten." Why doesn't anybody make a rubber type spacer that goes around the whole rod end to help quiet the noise. Seals-It doesn't make one big enough.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
When they're loose, you feel the *** end of the car loose too. It will sway just a bit from side to side. The directions aren't exactly user friendly either. "Don't grease, don't overtighten." Why doesn't anybody make a rubber type spacer that goes around the whole rod end to help quiet the noise. Seals-It doesn't make one big enough.
Around the outside of the actual body of the rod end (the part that screws into the suspension component)? That wouldn't do anything to dampen transmitted noise.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Element
Around the outside of the actual body of the rod end (the part that screws into the suspension component)? That wouldn't do anything to dampen transmitted noise.
Yes it would. When I twist them by hand, I don't hear the joints making noise. I hear and see the phb hitting the mount that it goes in. On the lca's, the joint hits itself when it twist. If there was a rubber cover over it like I had on my rod ends, then the metal joint would hit the rubber first.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it would. When I twist them by hand, I don't hear the joints making noise. I hear and see the phb hitting the mount that it goes in. On the lca's, the joint hits itself when it twist. If there was a rubber cover over it like I had on my rod ends, then the metal joint would hit the rubber first.
It'd keep the body of the joint from hitting, yes; I thought you were talking about actual transmitted noise and vibration through the joint, rather than interference between the joint and the part.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Our original design did not use set screws, it used an internal lock washer that applied pressure to the inside of joint. It worked well for us and the testing we applied but some customers had issues. We changed the design to a locking set screw in May.

Whether its a UMI joint or a Spohn joint and it has a set screw there should be no need to tighten them that often. Maybe check them once a year. But turning it in 3-4 turns a week shouldn't be right. Is the set screw missing and allowing the ring to back off?
Ryan @ UMI, it's good to know that UMI stepped up and refined thier ROTO-Joint LCA's. I've always been very satisfied with UMI's products. Plus your online presence here shows UMI's commitment to it's customers and products. That means alot.

Ryanmgaspard, That sounds like an unsafe situation, have you tried contacting Spohn ?

Last edited by bearcatt; 09-09-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely contact Spohn, that's seriously abnormal wear!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

I've had mine on for 6 months and probably 4k miles now and I had to tighten the delsphere ends once after a month or so which I assume was just the delron material compressing slightly. I had noise coming from them again shortly after that, but it was the mounting bolts themselves that had loosened up.

Message to Spohn, UMI and other manufacturers - some of us are doing some of these installs for the first time. Instructions should emphasize the following:

1. Body mounting surfaces that mate with the poly ends should be perfectly clean before install. I had some undercoat overspray on one of my mounting points that caused squeaking. As soon as I cleaned this off the squeaking went away. THESE AREAS NEED TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAN BEFORE INSTALL!!
2. Grease the surfaces of the poly ends that will come in contact with the body surfaces. Don't assume the zerks will take care of this. Do it manually before install.
3. In the same way, grease the insert rods in the Delsphere ends before installation.
4. make absolutely sure that the mounting bolts are torqued to to 80 ft/lbs. This needs to be done with the suspension loaded but is very difficult to do on the ground. I accomplished this by lowering the rear tires on to ramps and then torquing. Then retorque again after about a month.

After those lessons were learned, I have been very happy with my LCA's but I don't think this information should be learned by each installer.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SS6366
I've had mine on for 6 months and probably 4k miles now and I had to tighten the delsphere ends once after a month or so which I assume was just the delron material compressing slightly. I had noise coming from them again shortly after that, but it was the mounting bolts themselves that had loosened up.

Message to Spohn, UMI and other manufacturers - some of us are doing some of these installs for the first time. Instructions should emphasize the following:

1. Body mounting surfaces that mate with the poly ends should be perfectly clean before install. I had some undercoat overspray on one of my mounting points that caused squeaking. As soon as I cleaned this off the squeaking went away. THESE AREAS NEED TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAN BEFORE INSTALL!!
2. Grease the surfaces of the poly ends that will come in contact with the body surfaces. Don't assume the zerks will take care of this. Do it manually before install.
3. In the same way, grease the insert rods in the Delsphere ends before installation.
4. make absolutely sure that the mounting bolts are torqued to to 80 ft/lbs. This needs to be done with the suspension loaded but is very difficult to do on the ground. I accomplished this by lowering the rear tires on to ramps and then torquing. Then retorque again after about a month.

After those lessons were learned, I have been very happy with my LCA's but I don't think this information should be learned by each installer.
I've done these exact steps and still have the joints coming loose. I can VERY easily turn the joints 3-4 times with the special tool before they tighten up.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

That doesn't sound good. Have you taken the Delsphere ends apart and inspected the delron bushings? It sounds like maybe your bushings need to be replaced if you are able to compress them that much. I would disassemble them and see how they look. Maybe you just got a bad set of bushings.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02SS6366
That doesn't sound good. Have you taken the Delsphere ends apart and inspected the delron bushings? It sounds like maybe your bushings need to be replaced if you are able to compress them that much. I would disassemble them and see how they look. Maybe you just got a bad set of bushings.
I took them apart and they look decent. I did buy them the day they came out so I could have gotten a defected batch. I've already contacted Spohn but their customer service is lacking. I called and left messages and emailed them but no response. Maybe this will get their attention.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

i noticed my del spheres were loose....REALLY loose.....so i tighten em down........no problem so far........but i will def check them again
Old 09-15-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow guys.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda bringing this back...does anyone know if the UMI rotojoint adjustment tool will work on a del sphere??? they look as if they could be interchangable??

Quick Reply: Spohn Del-Sphere Control Arms installed today