Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel mount Torque Arms?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tunnel mount Torque Arms?

Need to upgrade my torque arm. Looking at the tunnel mount and the relocation mount. What is everybody's thoughts. I drag race and stree race, Car is not a monster but do need to upgrade on the torque arm. What is the noise difference on these 2 setups (either one of these make alot of noise and if so how much) and which name brand do yall like the most. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I run the UMI TA relocation kit, it's a great piece. Very solid, weighs about double of the stock trans cross member when you replace it. Absolutely no noise after the install. Here's a pic of my car
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Why not just run a tranny mounted TA and be done with it? You will save a bunch of cash too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
I run the UMI TA relocation kit, it's a great piece. Very solid, weighs about double of the stock trans cross member when you replace it. Absolutely no noise after the install. Here's a pic of my car
Hello
Great to hear! And thanks again for choosing UMI Performance.
Brad

Originally Posted by nosaj
Need to upgrade my torque arm. Looking at the tunnel mount and the relocation mount. What is everybody's thoughts. I drag race and stree race, Car is not a monster but do need to upgrade on the torque arm. What is the noise difference on these 2 setups (either one of these make alot of noise and if so how much) and which name brand do yall like the most. Thanks.
Hello
Seeing how the vehicle is a street car I would suggest going with a full length adjustable arm with a relocation cross member to maintain a stock ride quality. But still allows you to adjust your pinion angle and also get the arm off of the rear of the transmission to eliminate any breaking issues that can occur. Below is a link to show you what all we have to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...2t21sdf25l8h60

Don't get me wrong our tunnel mounted torque arms are bullet proof. But seeing how the cross-member it under the front seats you might hear the weight transferring every now and then. But in the end if you want a torque arm that you will never grow out of then a tunnel mounted version is the way to go. Below is a link to show you what all styles of tunnel mounted arms we have to offer.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Teching In

I've got that exact UMI set up on my A4 works great! And for that question about why not just save the money and bolt it to the transmission-that's what my tight *** did and after 4 dyno pulls i was stuck about 3 hours from home looking 4 a tail shaft
that torque arm, 3inch drive shaft, drag radials, bolt on's =10sec street car no noise rides great

Last edited by blackbullet#1; 04-01-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackbullet#1
I've got that exact UMI set up on my A4 works great! And for that question about why not just save the money and bolt it to the transmission-that's what my tight *** did and after 4 dyno pulls i was stuck about 3 hours from home looking 4 a tail shaft
that torque arm, 3inch drive shaft, drag radials, bolt on's =10sec street car no noise rides great
You have the torque arm relocation off the tailshaft? I just don't want alot of noise going on underneath, that will bug me.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Teching In

yes i have the same set up as in the pics (the relocation cross member). had it bolted in the stock location and broke the tailshaft during dyno tunning.Got the UMI relocation cross member no trouble sence. Quit- no noise-works great
Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the tunnel mounted ta and cant complain. It does make noise and I bottom out on the cross member quite a bit but I dont mind.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stoverz28
I have the tunnel mounted ta and cant complain. It does make noise and I bottom out on the cross member quite a bit but I dont mind.
X2..... I have the one for the y-pipe and gonna swap it for the mount for standard exhaust the y-pipe has plenty of clearance anyway!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by conde'strans
X2..... I have the one for the y-pipe and gonna swap it for the mount for standard exhaust the y-pipe has plenty of clearance anyway!
Pm sent!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a tunnel mounted TA, hated it, sold it then bought a long one. Then tried a relocation crossmember and it made almost as much noise as the tunnel mounted one. I just run mine off the tailshaft. I launch at 6,500+, no problems yet.
The following users liked this post:
1hotroc (07-01-2023)
Old 04-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
I had a tunnel mounted TA, hated it, sold it then bought a long one. Then tried a relocation crossmember and it made almost as much noise as the tunnel mounted one. I just run mine off the tailshaft. I launch at 6,500+, no problems yet.
Really, I haven't really heard anybody complain about the relocation. And the 6500 launch. I don't have to worry about that, I have an auto car with converter so I don't leave that hard.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nosaj
Really, I haven't really heard anybody complain about the relocation. And the 6500 launch. I don't have to worry about that, I have an auto car with converter so I don't leave that hard.
Just about the same in the noise department IMO.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Launching!

I get what your saying.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

i have a midwest tunnel mount i just installed. i like it a lot. no additional noise at all, multiple adjustments and includes a ds loop. also the car feels much more planted at triple digit speeds

note though, not for the faint of heart if you have a moser 9".
Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Launching!

I'm running a BMR adjustable mounted to my trans and i have NO complaints it drives good and has planted my rear end and i can launch a little better.

I would like to relocate it but i am not putting down a whole lot of power so i dont think ill be breaking any tail shafts any time soon. All my car dose is spin like crazy when i launch.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
i have a midwest tunnel mount i just installed. i like it a lot. no additional noise at all, multiple adjustments and includes a ds loop. also the car feels much more planted at triple digit speeds

note though, not for the faint of heart if you have a moser 9".
I too have a MWC Fab 9" with tunnel mount tq arm. I did get the hyme joints in place of the prothane bushings. There is a little noise with weight transfer. Only thing that kinda sux is trying to run exhaust around a transmission crossmember and then the tq arm/ds loop crossmember. Reason I'm going to due a custom Y-pipe in a week.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I want to get a new torque arm this summer. A friend of mine installed a tunnel mount TA sometime last year, and he listened to complaints of noise and banging from a lot of people, but he swears up and down that there is none whatsoever, and he thanks his proper adjustments for it. I think everyone with noise problems just need to double check their adjustments. I plan to get a tunnel mount after his experience.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

What brand did your friend go with? I need a tq arm also, badly
Old 04-27-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

he got a UMI adjustable tunnel mount

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tunnel mount Torque Arms?