Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Roto-joint / Del-sphere question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Roto-joint / Del-sphere question

I'm looking into doing my suspension here in a little while and I've been looking into the UMI parts with roto-joint ends. From the advertising it sounds like you get the best of both worlds, streetability and deflection free performance. As much as I'd like to believe this to be the case part of me still thinks this is probably a little too good to be true. So my question would be: Has anyone run roto-joint or del-sphere parts in their suspension and if so how do they sound / perform? Additionally does anyone have some of these that have seen some mileage, and if so how do they perform as they get a little older?
Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wondering about this myself.

Does it increase road noise very much?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

i love umi's rotojoints and would highly recommend them... i have a double adj phb with them on both ends and it was as quiet as stock, i didn't notice any noise differences... and it was even better in the performance area... after the install and getting the rear centered, the rearend felt alot tighter and in place and the car tracked better... i was a little skeptical at first but made the plunge and tried them and i have no regrets... i'll be looking at getting a set of lca's with rotojoints in the near future and if there's anything else i need in the future and they offer the rotojoints on it, then i will be getting that too... i have never used spohn stuff, it seems like it would do pretty good but i've had good luck with umi stuff so i really have no reason to switch... i guess it's just a matter of personal preference and what you like better
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm planning on eventually upgrading my rear suspension components with UMI roto-joint stuff, LCAs and panhard bar.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Launching!

I was planning on doing both the LCA's and PHB as double adjustable with roto-joints. From what I hear the PHB isn't responsible for too much road noise. Some people have rod/rod phb's and say they're quiet. I'd assume that the Roto-joint would stay quieter longer than a rod end though. I mean road noise isn't the end of the world for me even though this is pretty much a street only car. I'll be doing headers and exhaust soon which will probably increase noise just a wee bit
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Oh and by the way thanks for the testimonial on the PHB. It move me closer to getting one.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

its pretty much the same as spohn del spheres.....which i have on my LCAs.....much preferred over plain spericals
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM
FormerVendor

Hello Everyone
Thanks for considering UMI Performance! Our Roto Joints were manufactured using 2 Delrin inserts, that will maintain a great ride quality like a poly bushing, but also hold up as well as a rod end (without the rougher ride quality). They are a rebuild-able product but as long as they are properly greased they will last for years to come. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...64k66n05j1ilm4

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...64k66n05j1ilm4

Thanks Again
Brad
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 AM
Launching!

Good to hear that they last for a while. I wish I could have a side by side comparison of the noise level, but I doubt I could get a hold of such a thing. Well whatever, I'm pretty much 90% sold on these so it's just a matter of me getting the time and the money to get them and put them in.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mrx8200
Good to hear that they last for a while. I wish I could have a side by side comparison of the noise level, but I doubt I could get a hold of such a thing. Well whatever, I'm pretty much 90% sold on these so it's just a matter of me getting the time and the money to get them and put them in.
Hello
Sounds great! They are pretty much a all around bushing. If you have any other questions. I am only a phone call or a PM away.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
its pretty much the same as spohn del spheres.....which i have on my LCAs.....much preferred over plain spericals
I've been looking into a set of those.

Any road noise ?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bearcatt
I've been looking into a set of those.

Any road noise ?

I'm curious about how much road noise you actually get. And do your LCA's have a poly end or are they double roto(or del-sphere)?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrx8200
I'm curious about how much road noise you actually get. And do your LCA's have a poly end or are they double roto(or del-sphere)?

Anyone ?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

there is more road noise compared to rubber....you will have to get them to see if it is to much for you....i had some herb adam sperical LCAs on my 89 IROC......the noise drove me crazy...i took them off....i know now not to at least get strait spericals.....the innerards of the del spheres do take some of the harshness out...and i like that they are greaseable.....i am happy with them......i think there is less sticktion with the del spheres over polys......i am sure polys are quieter tho

double del sphere ends BTW
Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
there is more road noise compared to rubber....you will have to get them to see if it is to much for you....i had some herb adam sperical LCAs on my 89 IROC......the noise drove me crazy...i took them off....i know now not to at least get strait spericals.....the innerards of the del spheres do take some of the harshness out...and i like that they are greaseable.....i am happy with them......i think there is less sticktion with the del spheres over polys......i am sure polys are quieter tho

double del sphere ends BTW
Thanks for your input.

I'm willing to accept some noise with the Del-Spheres or Roto-Joints for good performance.

Polys are not an option at all because the lack of axle articulation.
If I was a strait line guy than polys would be fine.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Thanks for considering UMI Performance! A few things you have to keep in mind when you are looking into a set of control arms is how do you want the vehicle to perform and what are you plans with it. Our new Roto Joints have held up very well during testing. Yes they do feature a little more solid ride compared to a poly but you have to keep in mind is a firmer material. And if you are looking to install a set on a Daily Driver and you still want it to maintain a great ride quality. Than I would suggest looking into at least a poly bushing on one side such as a 2039 (on car adjustable) or a 2033 (non adjustable). But if you are looking for maximum performance then I would suggest a set of 2035 (double adjustable). Like mentioned above as long as they are properly greased and (NOT) disassembled they will hold up for years to come. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...kl3ci9pq3rd9e0

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I've had roto-joint LCAs and PHB for about a month now and they are much quieter than the old rod ends and definitely not as harsh. For noise and stiffness I would put them closer to poly bushing and the handling is just as good as it was with rod ends. The one issue I ran into was that all 6 of the roto joints loosened up (disc that threads into the housing actually started to unthread themselves). I purchased the special wrench, loosened them up a bit more, put some blue loctite on the threads and tightened them back up. Hopefully I do not see any more issues with that. But once everything is nice and tight these are the best bushings I have had on the car (and i've had rubber, poly, rod ends, and now roto-joints)
The main issue I have is with the UMI adjuster wrench. When I received it I assumed I could tighten each bushing while it was installed on the car but the two prongs that go into the disc to tighter or loosen it are too long. After removing the PHB I noticed that each prong only goes halfway into the disc adjusting holes. After about 30 minutes of filing the prongs down I now have a wrench that can be using to tighten the bushings without removing them from the car.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Hey thanks for the info. Sounds like they are how they are purported to be. I don't need a rubber bushing level of quiet, but to hear that they're closer to poly bushings than rod ends is nice. I figure that true duals and long tubes will do far more in terms of noise than any suspension parts
Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to upgrade the bushings in my 1LE lcas with some Moogs.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont the 1LEs have a special bushing???

Quick Reply: Roto-joint / Del-sphere question