Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me get the car lower but still work at the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get the car lower but still work at the track

I just put the wheels and tires on my car (see sig). Everything cleared after I beat the hell out of the inner fender wells and everything. But now my car looks like a 4X4 Camaro. I need to get it lower so it looks right but still want it to go good at the track. I also need to get drag shocks and I need to know if they can still be used if the car is lowered ? Give me some suggestions on what to do here. Thanks!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Are strano springs able to be used with drag shocks ? Also are these springs ideal for occasional track use ?
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

anybody ?
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
I just put the wheels and tires on my car (see sig). Everything cleared after I beat the hell out of the inner fender wells and everything. But now my car looks like a 4X4 Camaro. I need to get it lower so it looks right but still want it to go good at the track. I also need to get drag shocks and I need to know if they can still be used if the car is lowered ? Give me some suggestions on what to do here. Thanks!
You can use any setup you want, but that doesn't mean the parts will work right or feel good. You can use any shock you want as long as they fit but with drag shocks you will be sacrificing ride quality and handling for better weight transfer (which is the same kind of setup as stock worn out shocks...)

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
Are strano springs able to be used with drag shocks ? Also are these springs ideal for occasional track use ?
No lowering spring is ideal for drag racing, you generally want a tall soft spring for weight transfer. You certainly can use a lowering spring, but they may not work as well as say a drag spring.
Personally I wouldn't want to sacrifice street ability, ride quality and handling for fractions of a second at a dragstrip you are only on part of the time you are driving the car.
You can have your cake and eat it too though, there is a member that switched from drag shocks to konis and actually got a better 60' with them:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html
You could always try these with strano springs and see what happens.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

I kept getting the same 60ft time after lowering my car as before when it was stock height. I'm now gonna be installing Strano lowering springs along with drag shocks in the rear and see if it improves my sixty.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...d-writeup.html

here's a good write up about the hose mod. i did it month ago when i installed my summit stars on my car. just the rear only and it looks great . i used 5/8's heater hose. make sure you mark the springs with some type of tape or a dab of paint before removing them. do this to ensure your springs line up properly when you re-install them. do this so you won't have to do the "spin the spring" game until sits right. good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Help me get the car lower but still work at the track-5-8-hose-spring.jpg   Help me get the car lower but still work at the track-after-hose-mod-3.jpg  
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I run drag shocks out back on Strano springs and the hose mod. I wanted my car to have a killer stance so I decided to keep those springs when I put those shocks in and it works great. Having the car lower will not negatively affect your 60' times IF you buy a set of LCA relocation brackets. They will allow you to get the suspension geometry correct by keeping the LCA on a downward angle from the subframe to the rear instead of being straight across. When you lower the car you also want to get an adjustable panhard so you can center the rear correctly, with both of those pieces you can lower your car and not lose traction at the strip.

Upfront, you don't want a stiff spring like you want out back because you want to promote weight transfer. You'll want something soft like a 275, 300, 325 rate spring (depends on your setup) but the car will not have lower stance. I would buy a set of adjustable drag shocks and with them you can lower or raise the ride height as desired all the while improving weight transfer.

Really depends how serious drag racing is to you. If your only going to go a couple times a year I would probaly not run drag shocks since your car will primarily be a street car but if 1/4 mile times are important to you and you race alot, by all means.

Quick Reply: Help me get the car lower but still work at the track