Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do any of the aftermarket swaybars (front, rear, or both) have any affect on drag use

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any of the aftermarket swaybars (front, rear, or both) have any affect on drag use

I was just curious as to whether I need to upgrade my swaybars to improve at the track. I wasnt sure if they had any affect on drag use. The only suspension that I have not touched...yet...is the k-member and a-arms. (besides the swaybars) I just wanted to know if I should invest in them and if so, could you recommend some whether it be the front, rear, or both? I dont do any autox or any thing of that sort. Thank you very much.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general, for drag performance, you want little to no front swaybar (stiffer swaybars hinder weight transfer to the rear), and depending on traction and power you'll want a nice stiff rear bar to resist torque roll onto the passengers side tire (best traction is when weight is evenly distributed to both rear wheels). This is the same reason people run airbags in their passenger springs. This preloads the suspension onto the drivers side so the torque roll from the drivetrain evens the distribution to both tires. The more rear bar you have, the less airbag pressure you'll need. Not really sure about the specifics because I'm not heavy into dragracing (I do drag, but mostly for the hell of it. My car is set up pretty much entirely for handling)
Old 01-08-2004, 12:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think that Im going to hold off on the airbag thing because I dont think Im pushing the power or pulling the times to be worrying that much about it. Although, changing the swaybar Ill do...you stated that I need a stiff bar or more bar the better, does that mean thicker, heavier, etc.? So replacing the rear swaybar isnt going to be a waste of money and it will make a difference. Now that I have that answered...I just have to figure out which one I want.

Quick Reply: Do any of the aftermarket swaybars (front, rear, or both) have any affect on drag use