Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hal questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hal questions.

First off, let me warn you that Im about to ask some questions that you may find kind of ignorant or dumb. LOL

What makes the Hals 12 way? Reason I ask, is because I was just messing with them and there was like 15 or so settings on that **** at the bottom of the shocks. I wasnt sure if there was suppose to be 12 and if so, thats why they are called 12 way. What is that **** for any way?

Secondly, what is the spanner wrench for?

I have the R series fronts and regular rears, and I just received the modified spring perches and grade 8 hardware for the rear, is there anything else that I will need to install them?

Lastly, Ive never owned a set of drag shock, so how do I set these? I will be using them at the strip and on the street. As time goes on, I drive the car less and less on the street, so hopefully I wont have to keep going back and forth with tuning the suspension. How difficult is it to do so? How come there are so many settings if theres only so much out there that you can do with them. Im only going to be using them on the strip and on the street, so that would mean I only need 2 settings right? As time goes on, will the settings change? Sorry for all the question, but I do appreciate the help.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, I just got a front set for Christmas, haven't put them in yet. The **** on mine also goes more than 12 clicks, I don't know why? Also they only say QA1 on them, not HAL anywhere.

I'd also like to know how that spanner wrench works for adjusting the lower spring perch to set the ride height.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 12 way is the 12 click range of the adjusting ****. I've never tested how many clicks I can get out of them. But they are careful in the instructions to say not to turn them past 12 clicks. The **** changes the dampening rate of the shock. All the way out on 1 the shocks are very loose and on 12 they are extremely tight.

The spanner wrench is designed to hook on the big nut on the shock body at the bottom of the spring and allow car height adjustments. I haven't been able to move the nut with my little spanner wrench though.

I find the QA1's great for versatility.

Set on 4 all around the ride is similar to OEM.
For drag racing I set the front on 1 or 2 and usually up the right rear to 5. Helps with letting the front come up and make weight transfer.
When I autocrossed I set the fronts to 6 and the rears to 8 and it helped keep the car planted.

Good luck with yours.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

blaSSt

Did you use your sock springs or the Hal's?
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
...what is the spanner wrench for?
The spanner wrench is really for tightening/loosening the jam nut under the spring seat. The spring seat position can't be adjusted unless the spring is loose (unloaded). You may need to use a spring compressor for some springs in order to do this. My Suspension Techniques springs just barely come loose at full extension.

Originally Posted by ThaBeaSSt
...Lastly, Ive never owned a set of drag shock, so how do I set these? I will be using them at the strip and on the street. As time goes on, I drive the car less and less on the street, so hopefully I wont have to keep going back and forth with tuning the suspension. How difficult is it to do so? How come there are so many settings if theres only so much out there that you can do with them. Im only going to be using them on the strip and on the street, so that would mean I only need 2 settings right? As time goes on, will the settings change? Sorry for all the question, but I do appreciate the help.
The settings will depend on how you've set the rest of the car up (tires, weight, airbags, spring rates, etc). Even the outside temperature - on really cold mornings I can feel that the shocks are a bit stiffer until the oil in them warms up a bit.

All that adjustment is a good thing - I'd never go back to a shock with fixed rates.

DaveH
'00 Z28 Conv, Lowered 2.5", 18x10.5 Z06 Wheels F&R
http://www3.telus.net/acarnut/