Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removing welded SFC's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing welded SFC's

Anyone ever done it? I'm asking because the 3" ORY I just put on my car is banging up against the KBDD subframes on the drivers side. I was thinking of maybe cutting the part that the y-pipe bangs against and rewelding it so the y-pipe will clear when going WOT. I already have a poly motor mount on the drivers side which has reduced a lot of the y-pipe movement.

I'm also thinking of just pulling off the KBDD's and getting some Global West SFC's or BMR tubular SFC's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

grab a 5" grinder, or a plasma cutter.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might just want to dimple the pipe where it bangs, a little smooth dimple
of, say, 1/4 to 1/2" for 1" of run won't hurt noticeably. Just take a ball-
pein to the scrape marks.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible just to put some rubber hose on the sfc where the banging takes place. I'd much rather do that then rip off the welded sfc.

Generally the double diamond design is considered superior to the single bar design. I know if I had the chance to do it again, I would have gotten the KBDD.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

I had a shop rip out my POS KBDDs and install some SLP SFCs. Car is a little bit better torsionally and a lot better bending wise and I now get a solid thunk when hitting road irregularities. Worth the cost if you want the best.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible, but a pain in the butt. I cut mine off about 2 or 3 months ago with a air cut off tool. I went through 6 discs I believe. I know it wasnt the fastest way, but in my opinion, it was one of the cleanest. Meaning there wasnt a bunch of slag or excess welds as there would be if I would of cut them off with a torch. If you can get your hands on a plasma cutter, it will be a lot cleaner than a torch. But if you have the time, cut them off with a disc. I also chose that route so that I dont put more heat to the frame. I hear that makes the metal weaker. Hope that helps.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Wink

your answer is sooo simple i would just grab the good ole headder wrap and do a couple of loops arround the y-pipe where its making contact with the sfcs and call it a day! i did it with my borla beacouse it was banging near the rear axle and it fixed it just fine all ya need is headder wrap and 2 worm clamps to hold it down it will deaden the noise and protect the pipe (not that a y pipe is gonna get damaged by a little bang) ...good luck

Quick Reply: Removing welded SFC's