Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Happy Strano Customer

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile Happy Strano Customer

Just got my car back on the road after the Winter. Took it for its annual safety inspection this morning with no issues.
The winter mods were:
Strano hollow sway bars, Koni 4/3's, UMI Poly/roto LCA's, UMI Poly/roto PHB
I kept the stock springs but used the lower mount on the front Koni's and did the heater hose mod on the rear. I also switched to the ATE blue brake fluid and bled the brakes through with it. I also fitted new ball joints, upper and lower, and new track rod ends.

The car is much more solid, and rough riding - not uncomfortably so but definately harsher than the stock suspension setup. I haven't tested a hard launch yet so can't comment on the axle tramp I used to get.
The car sits about 3/4" lower all round and I have already touched the airdam in front of the wheels down on a speed bump - this is why I didn't go for lowering springs. Overall the handling is excellent and I am very happy with the results.
I was very surprised to get snap oversteer this morning under circumstances that would not have done it before. Perhaps the extra stiffness of the suspension accounts for it or perhaps the winter lay-up made the tires greasy. Koni's are set full soft on the rear and midway on the fronts. Tires are 275/45*17 Kumho's set at 34f/30r. I'm not too worried as having driven nothing but a 4cyl front wheel drive econo box all winter it could easily be me too!!! It was very controllable though, a slight feathering of the throttle and a handful of opposite lock.

Also, before the winter, my brakes worked well but felt dead. There was always little or no feeling in the pedal - just on or off. The change in the brake fluid has made a huge difference and now I can feel the bite the Hawk pads and rotors have. Again I haven't used them in a really hard stop yet but just across town and back they feel much better.

I have some pics here: http://gallery.me.com/dave.sharp#100080

The driveway isn't level so the pictures don't show accurate ride height and there are a few more art'y pictures there too.

Thanks Sam - I'm really happy with the advice given (and it was all done by email to!) and the international shipping was good.

Highly recommended!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Sam has some great stuff with even better customer service. Nice car btw!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear!

Thanks for choosing UMI products with your purchase,

Ryan
Old 04-17-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

so how is it driving a HI PO american car over the pond?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice clean LT1 you got there I just installed my Strano bars about a month ago, very nice setup.

I noticed your rear bumper is unique, it must be for the wider license plate. It looks different than both the TA and Formula rear bumper. I've always wondered how well folks in the UK accept American sports cars.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the compliments - the T/A has been an evolution over 7 years!

The rear bumper is a Euro Spec feature and it is because of the licence plate, but there are an equal number of American Spec cars here with the standard bumper.
There are lots of American cars in the UK - they have a huge following. Not always well received though as they are seen as gas guzzlers and environmentally unfriendly by some, and the comments made by prejudiced idiots like Jeremy Clarkson don't help. Still - those who own them usually love them and although they are sometimes driven hard they are well looked after.

Handling Update:
Took the T/A on a much longer run to an American Car Show yesterday - a round trip of about 200miles consisting of highway type roads and some twisty stuff. Also had a friend with me in the car whos '94 Formula is currently off the road but crucially his car has stock everything on suspension.
I was frankly amazed at the handling of the T/A. From fast lane changes to fast cornering it was planted and body roll was minimal. The general 'feel' of the car has changed too - it feels more secure even when cruising. I was unable to replicate the unexpected rear end slide of Saturday morning even with some very fast corner entry speeds so suspect that was down to something else.
On the return journey I took a shortcut down a narrow road where the road is VERY uneven and rough. This was the only time the suspension was harder to live with, and the pro's in all other circumstances outweigh this one con.
My friend was so amazed at how different my car felt and how well it handled. He really could not get over the difference between his stock suspension and mine and by the end of the return journey was talking about modifying his suspension too!!!
I also tried one hard launch - and the axle tramp that plagued me before (m6) has gone. I guess the old stamped LCA'a are no match to the UMI LCA's I have fitted!

I might try adjusting the front Koni's a click either way just to see if I prefer it but TBH I couldn't be happier.
Monday morning and I have had to drive the 4cyl econo box to work - but I'm still grinning from yesterday! The money I spent and the time it took to do these upgrades were well worth it, and to anyone looking for a great handling f-body I would highly recommend Sam and UMI's products.

One very happy f-body owner!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have nothing but good things to say about Sam, he has been a huge help with me and my car. I have his sprints, Koni 4/4's, Hollow Swaybars, Watts Link, and the car is a totally different animal, its like it just corners on rails, I have never owned or driven an f-body that drives like this one.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

What is Sam's screen name, I want to pull up some of his threads and read on what he has to say about suspension. Thanks!

DM
Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
What is Sam's screen name
Sam Strano
Old 04-20-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

a97transam, try adjusting the front shocks down a couple of sweeps softer and it should ride better.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
Sam Strano
Thanks man!

DM
Old 04-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

try adjusting the front shocks down a couple of sweeps softer and it should ride better
Thanks - thats what I will do this weekend when I hope to be able to enjoy the car some more!!

Quick Reply: Happy Strano Customer