Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni 4/4 upgrade. Thanks Strano

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni 4/4 upgrade. Thanks Strano

Hey guys. I completed a koni 4/4 install this weekend on my daily driven 2000 TA. For the millionth time, these shocks are amazing.

I have been in a few friends cars with different setups (bilstein/eibach, tokico/bmr, and kyb/hotchkis), and my konis blow them away. I stayed with my stock springs, and used the lower perch and heater hose mod and I am more than happy.

Install was pretty straight forward. Only setback was my upper front shock nuts were rusted and I had to drill them out. Other than that it took me about 5 hrs total by myself with handtools. If anyone has questions shoot me a pm.

I demand you buy these from Sam Strano. He goes out of his way for customer service and is one hell of a guy.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree. I love mine. I'm getting ready to install a new front shock because my other one got damaged and they warrantied it out for me. Anyone have Sam's instructions on how to set them?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yes, these shocks make an amazing difference. it feels like a whole different car.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear I have had the springs for a few months and the Koni's showed up a couple days ago. Waiting on the Panhard bar and then will tackle the install. My only concern is the fronts. I'm planning on rusted tops, hoping its not bad.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 99zee
Good to hear I have had the springs for a few months and the Koni's showed up a couple days ago. Waiting on the Panhard bar and then will tackle the install. My only concern is the fronts. I'm planning on rusted tops, hoping its not bad.
Might not be a bad idea to plan on new upper shock mounts too, depending on how many miles the car has seen and the weather it has been in. Both my mounts tore when trying to get them separated from the shocks. The Moogs from Advance Auto are like $80 each, but after making a billion trips to the store when changing my shocks (not with Konis unfortunately!) I'd rather order them and have them, and return them if I don't need them, instead of not having them and needing them.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
...I'd rather order them and have them, and return them if I don't need them, instead of not having them and needing them.
I hear you there. Isn't that always the case when you're working on your car though? Always hate it when I get something I don't need, but you're right it sure beats sitting there with the car apart just as the auto parts store is closing.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Might not be a bad idea to plan on new upper shock mounts too, depending on how many miles the car has seen and the weather it has been in. Both my mounts tore when trying to get them separated from the shocks. The Moogs from Advance Auto are like $80 each, but after making a billion trips to the store when changing my shocks (not with Konis unfortunately!) I'd rather order them and have them, and return them if I don't need them, instead of not having them and needing them.
I have almost talked myself into buying the new shock mounts. The car is 11 years old with 62K. It was a DD for the first 5 years and a garage queen for the last 6 years. I put about 1K miles a year for the last 6. With my luck it will be the typical PITA to get the fronts apart. I saved enough on the Koni's to buy new shock mounts.

Last edited by 99zee; 04-19-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Most stores do not have them in stock so plan ahead, order them, and if you don't need them just keep your receipt and return them. When I did my Koni/Strano suspension upgrade my car had 186K miles on the clock. The shocks tore through the mounts so needless to say I replaced mine. I agree with the comments above, mileage, weather, driving conditions all play a part in how fast they wear. But since you have everything apart what is an extra $160 and $1 million of peace of mind knowing everything is right?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Im fixing to place an order for the Koni's either later today or tomorrow. Im glad i read this and remembered about the shock mounts and etc. Ill be buying those as well, just like some of you guys said. I would rather have something i dont need, then not have something i do need when install time comes around.

Quick Reply: Koni 4/4 upgrade. Thanks Strano