Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

koni 4/4s and unsprung mass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default koni 4/4s and unsprung mass?

anyone know how konis react to added unsprung mass? such as the addition of a C6Z brake conversion out front and a s60 (about 25# heavier than a 12 bolt) out back? i think that these shocks have factory set compression valving and what makes then adjustable is the rebound valving?? in any case, how well would these shocks ride and handle considering the added unsprung mass? that much worse?? unnoticeable?? any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-21-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being these shocks react so well to aftermarket springs, with rates anywhere from 292 lb * in fronts (stock) to 550+ (Strano/BMR/people running coil over setups), I would imagine that it would still be able to handle adding a little extra weight.

I dont know much about this though, just a thought!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SS101
anyone know how konis react to added unsprung mass? such as the addition of a C6Z brake conversion out front and a s60 (about 25# heavier than a 12 bolt) out back? i think that these shocks have factory set compression valving and what makes then adjustable is the rebound valving?? in any case, how well would these shocks ride and handle considering the added unsprung mass? that much worse?? unnoticeable?? any help would be greatly appreciated

Adding unsprung mass means you should also add some compression damping to help control it. 4/4's were never valved for that amount of mass (most especially in the rear).

I'd strongly consider DA's in the rear here, so you can adjust the compression damping up to help deal with the mass increase. A lack of compression damping relative to the mass makes the car not suck up bumps as well. It's kind of like running in combat boots, the car's "feet" feel more heavy and clunky, but as you legs get stronger it's much better. The compression damping acts similarly. If you have scrawny legs and big heavy shoes you tend to catch them on little cracks, etc. The car will not react as well to those short sharp impacts as well.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!