Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Sway Bar Endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Sway Bar Endlinks

Need a little help. I was driving home from work and heard a popping noise from the passenger wheel well. When I got home and jacked her up, the endlink bolt was broken. Not a big deal, so I run up to the parts store and get a new pair.

The passenger bolt is stuck. I can not move it vertically at all. I can tighten or loosen the bolt, but it will not come out of the lower A-arm. I tried using a punch and hammer, but same result. The bolt is broke about 1/8 inch above the sleeve that sits on top of the lower bushing.

Any ideas?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bolt is rusted to the sleeve. First, try penetrating oil, leave it sit for a while, and beat on it again. You could try holding the sleeve with a plumber's wrench while turning the bolt to crack it loose.

Next, try heating the sleeve with a torch and repeat the beating.

Or, just cut it off.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

the best way to get a front link off is to have the wheel with weight on it.........ask me how i know............rhino ramps are my friend
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
We have unfortunately experienced this same exact situation many of times. And the easy way we have found out to remove the seized on end links is just cut them off with a die-grinder or sawz all.....works everytime! Just be careful and just cut the sleeve. And then install your new set.
Hope that helps
Brad
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put an impact on one end and wrench to hold the bolt on the other. it turned slowly for a while and eventually snapped off - either way, it came off

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Endlinks