Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strange viberations

Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default strange viberations

i was making the 1200 mile trip home yesterday and i was on I40 and the car was runnin fine then i got bored so i started playin around and when i got to about 80 the car would start shaking and as soon as i brought the speed back down it would stop. it wouldnt do it under hard acceleration but if you would bring it up to a constant speed and it would start to shake, i pulled over at the next gas station and checked the tires and i aired all of them up to 40psi, looked under the car for anything loose and couldnt find anything, it feels like its coming from the back, i cant figure out what it is but it scared the **** out of me when it first happened, the car just hit 50,000 miles an the tires are new. after reading some threads on here iv almost come to the conclusion that my torque arm is not adjusted right and its throwing my pinion angle off, can any body tell me how to adjust it and also how to adjust the lca's to make sure there right. thanks
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
When you have a chance feel free to give me a call! It will be less confusing explaining over the phone rather than reading what I type. I will be in the office M-F 8-4:30 and the # is (814) 857-5400. I will be more than glad to help you get the correct adjustments you need. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

thanks ill do that
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mentioned a 1200 mile trip. Was the car loaded down with a lot of "vacation stuff"?? Maybe you were compressing the suspension to the point that you were of the bumpstops. Or, you could have a bad u-joint in your driveshaft.

You mention adjusting the pinion angle and/or the LCAs. Yes, an incorrect pinion angle can cause weird vibrtaions, and I spent a while chasing down a little shake due to an incorrectly set torque arm. With respect to setting the LCAs, I'd get the car on a good 4 wheel alignment rack, and use it to set the car's thrust angle to zero.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

no it wasnt loaded down all i had was my laundry basket with my cloths in it an my laptop in the back seat. when i get back im gona check an see if one of the weights may have fallen off the wheels, then check the torque arm and if that dont fix it im gona have a 4 wheel alignment an go from there
Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Launching!

hey bro did you get the problem fixed? im having the same issue. some have told me my pinion seal is bad causing vibration (the rear does leak...so idk)
Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

no i havent had the time to look at it, work has been a bitch, but that sounds possible to me, come to think of it my rear end leaks a lil to.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My guess would be you threw a wheel weight. An off balance wheel causes rotational vibrations only at certain speeds (revolutions). Mine was really bad in the front at 70-80mph until I got them rebalanced and it was fine after that.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

nope that's not it bro sorry. I used to work at discount tire. you'll feel a vibration from the front but on a solid diff you don’t feel a wheel vibration unless your low on air or blow out the rear tire. now on the front you have independent suspension and your closer to that vibration and also you feel it in the steering wheel but not on the rear. little trick we used to do when we were backed up at discount was we didn’t balance the rear tires on trucks and cars that had a solid axle. lol the goodol days.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Launching!

im starting to think it may be my torque arm...because i dont remember this vibration before lowering the car but then again i replaced the drive shaft and u joints at the same time...i thought i t maybe my used driveshaft i bought maybe off balance but i swaped it again and same thing... so maybe i need an adjustable torque arm
Old 05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had a goodyear try that "trick" on me. If you can't feel that then its no wonder you can't track down your problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: strange viberations