Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Afterthoughts on aftermarket springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my Strano/Koni setup in sig. Not many have mentioned the bars but the stiffer 35/22 bars negate body roll signifigantly and make the car feel like a damn go kart when you push it....
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Love my Strano/Koni setup in sig. Not many have mentioned the bars but the stiffer 35/22 bars negate body roll signifigantly and make the car feel like a damn go kart when you push it....
Truth!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone notice a lot of shaft rubbing after their strano/koni install?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Good info nice to know before i go and get something bad
Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Koni/Strano setup. Period. There is a reason why this is the best setup.

Yes it's some coin. It's like anything else, how fast do you want to go and how much do you want to spend.

I tell anyone, if you are going to spend the money/time on upgrading your suspension parts and are serious about performance save up the extra money and buy koni's and strano springs if the case need be. A lot of people use koni's and stock springs and love it.
It's like buying stock ported heads compared to an aftermarket upgraded head.
Just my .02
Old 06-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Prokits ride like *** in the back.

Ground control coil-overs give me awesome adjustability. I can go from stock height to super slammed and anything in-between any time. I currently have the car set to be nice and level for better weight distribution from front to back. Bilstein HD's are ok.

I will be going to some strange coilovers and drag shocks soon hopefully.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been riding on Koni S/A's with Strano's Springs and Swaybars for 2 yrs now. And in the 12 yrs I've owned the car it still ranks as the best mods to date.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joblo1978

Ground control coil-overs give me awesome adjustability. I can go from stock height to super slammed and anything in-between any time. I currently have the car set to be nice and level for better weight distribution from front to back. Bilstein HD's are ok.

Nice car!~
Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my Z-28 new, in October of '95. Drove it about 6 weeks, before storing it for the winter. Over the winter, I installed the Eibach ProKit springs and kept the OE DeCarbon shocks. Cliff notes; car was attractively lower, but rode poorly.

Around early 2000, I installed a set of SLP Bilsteins, and kept the Eibach springs. Ride height remained the same, ride improved greatly.

Over the winter of 2009-2010, I installed a set of Koni 4/3 shocks and strano springs. Car sits a bit higher, rides smoother, but in all honesty, the ride quality gain from the shock/spring change is a bit compromised by poly bushings I also installed the front upper a-arms, and the "Jonny Joint" spherical bearings in the rear LCAs that I also installed.

However, the car is no longer daily driven, as I retired a couple of years ago, so the ride quality is no longer a huge concern. I was formerly driving it 50 miles a day, back and forth to work.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am running the BMR 1.25 springs and KYB gas shocks and i am more than happy with it. i love the stance, and it looks sweet with my 18" C5 Z06 rims. I do not drive my car hard or care about hooking a corner. Just want to give my car a good clean look. No regrets at all.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHICH Bilsteins? HD, SLP, or some Strano custom-valved?

Originally Posted by RevGTO
My 00 Formula is my daily driver. No road racing, autox, or anything like that - just the drag strip. In fact, I live in Kansas and there are hardly any curves in the roads. That being said ...

After installing SFC's and experiencing an unbearable increase in impact harshness, I called Sam. He advised Bilsteins and he was right - the improvement in ride quality was unbelievable. Plus handling got better as well.

I removed the rear isolators, and wanted to lower the front. So I went with Koni's on the lower perch. I was suprised to find that they were considerably harsher than the Bilsteins. After playing with the adjustment and having them wear in, I'm fine with them now. Koni's may be the handling kings, but IMO, nothing rides better than Bilsteins.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Teching In

I know a guy from a nearby town with Koni's single adjustable and Strano springs on his 35th SS and noticed that his front suspension was sitting a little higher than his rear. Does everyone else here with Koni and Strano spring setup have this problem? My Z has Eibach pro kit springs and it sits even all the way around.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What shocks are you running now with the Ground Controls? How do you like them and why do you want to change them to Strange?

Yeah, how come we don't hear more about adjustable coil-over kits for F-Bodies? What is the best adjustable coil-over kit for the 98-02 Camaro?

Originally Posted by joblo1978

Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
WHICH Bilsteins? HD, SLP, or some Strano custom-valved?
I have HD's but they are the older valving Sam used to sell.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Any opinions on this please...I want to lower with Strano springs, I am heart-set on Koni's but I'm not looking for the BEST handling/cornering/etc. I want the best possible ride quality and comfort. Just want the good stance of lowering really....
Old 06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the koni's and strano springs. Not sure if its the settings but my car bounces around a lot and doesn't feel too hot going over bumps
Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Gohard
Any opinions on this please...I want to lower with Strano springs, I am heart-set on Koni's but I'm not looking for the BEST handling/cornering/etc. I want the best possible ride quality and comfort. Just want the good stance of lowering really....
Strano.

All the things you mentioned above fit that criteria.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Tudds
I have the koni's and strano springs. Not sure if its the settings but my car bounces around a lot and doesn't feel too hot going over bumps
Without specifics it's conjecture. What are the settings? What other things does the car have done? I mean a massively heavy set of wheels and tires, or a mongo rear axle does nothing good for ride quality.

Further, lowering springs aren't for everyone. And shock settings can and do effect the ride. If you don't like it, change it. But posting that you think it rides like crap (which you are entitled to think) without any other detail isn't helpful to you or me.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

I have Strange Engineering on my car and they feel great. I like the look also.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

do any of you drag your car? im talking about street cars that like to go to the strip often for fun.

i believe sam told me awhile back that someone was cutting 1.6's but im not sure what the whole suspension consisted of.

Quick Reply: Afterthoughts on aftermarket springs/shocks