Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs?????

What are a good set of springs for my camaro? Brand, drop and all that stuff I dont have a million dollars either hahahhaa.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stranos are the best option IMO with BMR next then Hotchkiss. And you couldn't pay me to put anything Eibach on an f-body. I bought an LT1 car that already had them and switched back to stockers. The rear was on the bumpstops at every dip in the road it seemed like. The Strano drop is 1.25" and IIRC BMR is too. Hotchkiss is a 1" drop....

You really need to pick up some decent shocks to as the stockers can't handle the increased spring rate of lowering springs and will prolly crap out pretty soon after the springs go on. I opted for Koni's but Bilsteins would have been my second choice....
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run the BMR springs and it gives my car a perfect stance. i would highly suggest the BMR springs.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

I second the BMR's. The stance is really nice and they are easy on the pocket book. I run the KYB AGX shocks with them and it rides/handles nicely!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!! we appreciate the compliments

Additional information regarding our lowering springs along with other BMR products can be found HERE
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I've been making my springs for about 5 years now. Others have made springs for years, claiming they were the best--then up and changed the design--and now claim those are the best. That's fine if that's how they want to market their stuff.

Here's the deal with mine: I, personally, developed the combination of spring rate front vs. rear, and the ride height based off of my own car.... My car is built to handle, it's an autocross car, and more to the point one that wins. And I don't mean the local event down the street, I mean SCCA National Championships. My springs were part of a setup I put on a car for GM High Tech Performance Magazine which sliced 3.5 seconds a lap off the baseline on street tires, and another 3.5 on race tires. My springs are very streetable, and are in fact less stiff than other "street springs".

I get about 400 sets a year, and I can never keep them in stock. In fact the last run I got was about 3-4 weeks ago, and I'm down to about 5 sets left (then it'll be a while for more). Yes, it takes a while to get them because they are made in Germany because that's where the mill is that makes the alloy used in the springs. I could have them made here, like I do my swaybars--but it would cost me the use of the material that is part and parcel to how the springs work (and that let them weigh less than others).

$275 shipped to your door (if you are in the continental US). And I make no bones about who I have make my springs for me. And spin can be spun anyway one wants. The proof is in the results, and how the spring rates were determined. It's easy for someone to copy something. But Xerox's are never as crisp as the original. There are cheap Chinese tires that look like high end tires--but don't work like the originals. Same can be said of any product, including springs. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Last edited by Sam Strano; 05-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Also, keep in mind that the BMR springs have a LIFETIME warranty against spring sag. At $229.95 for a set of 4, BMR springs are priced much lower than other brands. BMR springs are Proudly Made in the USA, which helps to keep the cost down.

BMR springs are made from high-tensile chrome-silicon steel wire. This is the same material used by most NASCAR teams.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 05-12-2010, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I think i will get a set of BMR
Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Do I need to relocate the control arm brackets?
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pewterfbody
Do I need to relocate the control arm brackets?
It really all depends on the vehicle and what your looking to get out of it.

I usually recommend people put the springs on first and see how it works for them. Relocation brackets can hurt as much as they help under certain conditions.

Do you already have an adjustable panhard rod on the vehicle?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, go with the company that makes the springs that gives your car the look that you like. I wanted a company that was good quality, great killer stance which is why i lowered my car in the first place, and good price and ensures they are in stock. I never auto X, drag race or anything. My car is just a fun street car to toy with, and daily driver.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

No panhard bar I want the look right now.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

As important as the look is, make sure you look a bit into how your suspension works and how the rates control the motion, which is especially important when you limit your suspension travel. Many people love the look of the Sportlines, but they have poor rates matched to the amount of drop they provide (the LT1 Sportlines, at least). If you're going to be driving your car a lot, make sure you don't buy springs that will cause you to bottom out all the time or make your ride super harsh. Spring rates matter if you're driving on the street, not JUST in performance driving . Same thing goes with getting a set of shocks to match, they don't affect look but affect how the car drives.

Strano and BMR are highly recommended on this board, with both of them getting good reviews not only about look but ride and handling. The comment about the panhard bar was because changing the height of your car changes where your rear sits compared to the rest of your car, so an adjustable PHB is a good investment with lowering springs.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Stranos is what I'm rolling. They're definitely A+ springs.

I can do nothing but agree with 99FormulaM6r.
Can you drive with just Strano/BMR springs and nothing else: Yes
Is that a good idea: Probably not
Old 05-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Launching!

strans are the way to go if you can find a good pair used i would snag them in a heartbeat and then see about konis for shocks. its alil expesive but the quility and performance will pay for itself in the long run. i would save up so you dont have to do it twice if you now what i mean. good luck
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep the shocks are as important or moreso than the springs as to how the car will ride. Whatever springs you go with I can tell you factory shocks will need to go. They can barely handle the stock springs......
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will need the adj panhard bar, like already mentioned, lowering will shift the rear axle so the wheels are not centered. You could get away with it, but my tires were getting cut by the fender edges until I corrected the problem.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Ok I will get the bar. I will have to wait on shocks I dont have that money plus they only have 70000 miles on them.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterfbody
Ok I will get the bar. I will have to wait on shocks I dont have that money plus they only have 70000 miles on them.
Thats like saying your stock valve springs will be ok with a big cam because they have low mileage.
The mileage on the stock shocks doesn't matter, brand new they are horrible and barley damp the stock springs none the less stiffer springs with less travel.
Its not about the wear and tear, its about how the shocks are valved.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my car w/ DMS springs and Konis.

IMO, konis is more important than springs.

Quick Reply: Springs?????