Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel won't spin.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wheel won't spin.

I just did a rotor and pad change. The passenger side wheel won't spin now though? Wondering about this before I put the car back on the ground in a few hours. Did the usual brake change stuff, pulled the cap off the reservoir, used a c-clamp, etc... nothing out of the ordinary.

I've never had this happen to me before on a brake change.

Oh yeah and another quick question. I installed powerstop rotors, they were labeled L and R. I'm assuming this is in relation to the car right? Left on driver side, right on passenger side?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the e brake isn't on or caught up. but new pads and rotors will be hard to spin, have you put the car on the ground yet or just tried spinning the tire with your hands?

and yea, you are right on with the labels
Old 05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check the slider pins? Does it spin without the tire/wheel on there? Did the rotors/pads for a friend a while back and the wheel wouldn't spin. Took the wheel off and it spins like crazy. One of the slider pins was frozen and it was just enough to keep it from turning Replace the pin, problem solved.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

^ i hate those damn pins
Old 05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Left is the driver's side, right is the passenger side.

As for the stuck side. Could be a stuck slider, but most likely you just didn't get the pistons fully retracted in the caliper. Takes next to nothing if you managed to get the caliper over the pads....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

This same thing happened to me when I did my brakes. It turned out to be a seized slider pin on the caliper....DO NOT DRIVE your car until you figure it out. If it's rubbing hard enough it will get hot enought to crack you rotor!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I just loosened up the slider bolts, got everything straight, then torqued to 23 ft.-lbs. I then could turn it by hand, it was still harder to turn than the driver side, but I did do the driver side first if that makes any difference? Seems fine now.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yeah I just loosened up the slider bolts, got everything straight, then torqued to 23 ft.-lbs. I then could turn it by hand, it was still harder to turn than the driver side, but I did do the driver side first if that makes any difference? Seems fine now.

Thanks everyone.
it is not the bolts being the problem, those pins should move with little resistance.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Can I order just the slider pins from the local parts store? If I can maybe I will change all four of them out.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Some of mine were really stuck in there. After a while getting them out, I cleaned them up and put a little anti-seize on them and haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I picked up a set at Advanced Auto. Problem though is one is really seized in there, not quite sure how I'm going to get it out. So yeah there was definitely a seized pin on the passenger side, the lower one is stuck in there, the top one was hardly lubricated and also starting to rust. Driver side was nice though.

Anyone have any luck getting a really stuck one out?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I picked up a set at Advanced Auto. Problem though is one is really seized in there, not quite sure how I'm going to get it out. So yeah there was definitely a seized pin on the passenger side, the lower one is stuck in there, the top one was hardly lubricated and also starting to rust. Driver side was nice though.

Anyone have any luck getting a really stuck one out?
Soak it in PB, heat it with a torch. Thats about the only way to get those damn things out once they get frozen. Be careful though, once its hot it may pop out unexpectedly!!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Soak it in PB, heat it with a torch. Thats about the only way to get those damn things out once they get frozen. Be careful though, once its hot it may pop out unexpectedly!!
That actually exactly what we did for mine lol
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Got mine out with a torch also. After doing that, not sure how else you can do it. I sprayed mine with penatrating oil and heated it up. Don't be scared the caliper needs to turn red! Popped it a couple times with a hammer and was able to get it out. I cleaned out the hole and lubed up the new pin. The worse part was trying to figure out why the wheel wouldn't spin!! Can't tell you how many times I took it off and put it on.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, about to get help from someone with a torch today. Later today or tomorrow I'm going to take the rears apart and lube the pins back there, who's to say when the last time that was done? I've owned the car over six years, I've never done it. Lesson learned! I'm going to hope none of them are seized back there. I did the rears same way I did the fronts, rotors and pads so they were pretty easy to install, didn't notice anything strange out back like I did up front though!

Edit: I've heard a from a few people they use anti-seize and that it works the best. The parts lady handed me two packets of synthetic brake parts lubricant. Does one work better than the other? I probably won't take the driver side apart again if the anti-seize is better, but for the other three calipers what would you all rather use?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

The only thing I have experience with is the anti-seize and haven't had a problem with it.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would use the anti-seize.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

I had the same problem recently when I did the powerslots and hawk pad upgrade. Sadly I didn't have a torch on hand so I drilled a hole on the opposite side and tapped it out. Then tacked the hole up. I would have just replaced the bracket but nobody seems to sell them. I used the synthetic grease that came with my pads. Greasing the pins is a very important step that most ppl never do lol
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

any luck tonight?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Yep, its back on the road. After PB blaster over night got it a little loose with vise grips, then I stuck the pin in a vise and was able to rotate the bracket little by little til it broke completely free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel won't spin.