Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Is this a dumb idea?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
How much does it cost to have HAL's rebuilt? Is the difference in money worth it?
$240 for all 4, rebuilt like new.

You want handling? Get some Konis
Konis are a waste of money for a 100% daily driver. The definition of overkill.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by LS6427

Koni DA's Yes, but not the SA's unless you drive at a snail pace.

IMO, put that $240 towards some new/better shocks, then sell the HAls as is.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, put that $240 towards some new/better shocks, then sell the HAls as is.
Sounds like a good idea. But my problem still remains, that if I get the SLP Bilstiens, my front end may very well sit even or higher than my rear end. Then I'm screwed.

I have 1/2" spacers under the rear shocks right now, I don't know how much higher I can go. They can't get too high or they will be higher than that round nipple thing that the spring sits on that keeps it in place. If someone made an adapter that raised that nipple, I could put more spacers without a problem.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, sounds like what ever you do involves $$$ and compromise.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good question........

Well, I put my car into the body shop today. I had 3 separate claims all at once, so I have to pay $250 deductable x 3 = $750. But that includes a new front bumper and a complete new paint job from a very good painter.

I have to rebuild my front end, 12-year old bushings are finally trashed. Last week when I had my new tires put on the guy said he couldn't even start to align the front end they are so bad. He's the one who found my two blown Hal shocks. So with parts and labor thats gonna be $1,000.

Bought a few trim pieces that were faded like crazy and new DRL housings, $300.00.

Just put 4 new tires on too, last week. 275's and 315's.

12-year old tint has to be redone as soon as I get the car back because its friggin HOT *** ***** here. $180

So....things are just getting up there. Not to mention I'm SUPPOSED to have my builder start on my new engine in a couple months and thats gonna cost some big dollars. 441ci.
Might have to delay this a little bit now.........

I think I'm gonna go for the Bilstiens along with my G2 springs for $410.00. If my front end is left a little higher, I can always put a couple more spacers under my rear springs and lift it about 3/4".
If I have the Hals rebuilt, all 4 of them, what could I sell them for? Might as well.

oh...I need a damn driver side window motor too....lol

So why exactly do you "need" a 441ci engine for a DD?
What do you mean they'll fail? Are lowered springs hard on shocks compared to stock hieght springs?

Your making the shock work harder (working to control more spring rate) with even less travel. So yes, lowering springs put more stress on shocks, the lower and stiffer the spring the more the stress.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And Id bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference either, thats drag shocks for ya.

I strongly disagree, especially if the car is lowered. Maybe konis arn't for you but what you don't seem to be grasping here is shocks control how the car rides, behaves, handles and feels anytime its moving. Making the car ride much better, feel all around way more solid, and being stable at speeds around corners you wouldn't dream of doing now doesn't seem like a waste to me. You wanted good handling didnt you? What your doing now is like someone saying they want more power, but refuse to buy LT headers/exhaust and get a tune and rather buy some stock Corvette exhaust manifolds and get a catback from a SS/WS6 car and get a handheld tune because otherwise it just a waste for a DD.
If anything, a 345hp LS1 (none the less a 441ci engine) is a "100% waste of money" for a daily driver.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have koni's on my DD honda civic, so you can bet their on my playtime SS. Because once you have koni you wont want any other shock.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's just our difference in opinion. I would only ever use Koni SA's if I wasn't using stock springs. I'd never use a subpar shock on aftermarket springs because I don't like my car bouncing around all over the place. You can do what you want. You mentioned you wanted handling so I recommend konis. That's just my opinion and everyone's going to have their own preferences for a daily driver, and I respect your opinion if you try something and it works for you.

The whole deal with this stuff aside from all debate... you have a car suspension that your not satisfied with and you want to fix it. Figure out what you want your suspension to do and learn how suspension works. When you figure it out, then you can satisfy your goal to get a suspension that works for your personal preference. Don't try to satisfy us... but keep in mind that some of us with experience might understand a thing or two that you dont... just keep an open mind and you'll figure out what you want
Old 05-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
So why exactly do you "need" a 441ci engine for a DD?

This is a long story.

My 427ci has ~140,000 miles on it and 8 years old. Instead of pulling it out and just rebuilding it (honing it) I already invested money for ported LS7 heads, ported LS7 intake and TB, new cam, pistons and exhaust. So I'm going to make sure I have nice round cylinders with new boring to 4.125". I'll have 4.125" x 4.125" = 441ci.
I think this is a good decision. No need to stay with old school LS1/LS6 stuff if it needs a rebuild.

I got a deal on brand new Wiseco 4.125" pistons ($400.00 from a local guy).
My builder is gonna do all the labor for $900. About $4,000 in parts.

So a pretty good bargan for me to jump to 441ci with a great top end....when my engine is in need of a rebuild....LIKE SOON. I'm sure I'll make 100+ RWHP more than I have now, and its gonna be new.

$750 in deductables for the body/paint shop where my car is right now.

$1,000 in parts and labor as soon as my car is done in 2 weeks to rebuild my 12 year old front end bushings.

I also committed to as new lease for a Mercedes C350...$430/month for 24 months. A lease take-over deal....nothing down at all, just take over payments. Good deal. I really need a normal car, a big loud red sports car just doesn't cut it anymore for everything I do....

There's more stuff, but you get it......I'm just trying to NOT buy $1,000+ Konis or that kit for $1,700, when there is absolutely no reason to have that stuff for a 100% street car. If I had the cash, I would, why not.

I'd love to buy some big Brembos for the front...but it would be a waste of money right now, there's no need for them. Or a new Dragonslayer XL crankshaft, but my Cola is just fine, right now. Or All-Pro heads, but ported LS7's will do just fine, right now.

I just don't want the front end to pop way up high...thats all. Its looking like I may need new springs if these G2's are gonna be a problem with the Bilstiens because they are so low. But I really think the Bilstiens are a good price.

Like you said...I think it was you....the Bilstiens will handle so much better than my Hals have and I'll love them...I just hope they don't pop the front up too much.

I'll probably be ordering them next week and having them put in with my G2 springs as soon as my car comes out of paint and the front end gets rebuilt.

We'll see what happens.......

But thanks for all the info and insight...........so far.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by z28bryan
That's just our difference in opinion.
Thats true....

I just have to watch my dollars right now. I can't buy things that are awesome just because they're awesome. I need to buy what suits my needs...for now. And that is just a street driven car on radials. I'll have extra play cash to blow again soon.

Quick Reply: Is this a dumb idea?????