Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SSBC Force 10 Tri-Power Braking System??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question SSBC Force 10 Tri-Power Braking System??

I'm trying to gauge some opinion on Stainless Steel Brake Company's (SSBC) new Tri-Power brakes. The system seems like a viable alternative for upgrading the braking system on our cars. Yes, I have read all the previous threads discussing the C-5 and Z06 caliper upgrades for less money. I have even searched the forum looking for other opinions on these brakes but there was none.
( I hate it when people keep digging up old points when the answers are located in the archive, and they are too lazy to look)

The brakes seem like a bargain @ ~$975.00 and I know from personal experience that SSBC makes a fantastic product. I am merely gathering opinion on whether these brakes would be a better alternative to Z06 caliper swap, or would money be better spent elsewhere.

Tony
Old 01-12-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are seeking opinions only, then I'm not reluctant to pen mine ...

Personally, I grew very tired of being a company's R&D department. New or un-tried parts really scare me, especially when I am PAYING for them and when they are as important as brakes or chassis components. Because when they fail, it's usually in a really bad situation. A motor part failure is expensive, but usually doesn't cause car control issues.

Having said that, make sure there is plenty of aftermarket support for them. If you HAVE to buy pads and rotors from SSBC, that might be time consuming, difficult and expensive.

Do your research. I know SSBC has been around for a while and make great conversions for older cars.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response Mitch. I was most interested to get yours and Trackbird's opinions on this topic. You two seem to be the most knowlegeble on the subject of handling on this board. I agree that SSBC's R&D on the new system cannot match the engineering that was put forth by the General on our stock systems. I hadn't taken into consideration the fact of different and/or unique disc pads. That may be another point to consider against the system, as GM pads are readily available.
You are right in that the braking system is not a component that one wants to have fail, either on the street or in competition. Purchasing a new, untested system such as this one is not something I would want to make a mistake on. Maybe someone has bought the system on the site. I certainly do not want to be the first.

Thanks again.
Tony
Old 01-12-2004, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being first is really cool to post abut on the internet. However, more times than not, it's the most expensive way to go.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My biggest fear would be replacement parts. Pads especially.

Interestingly looking at their picture the mounting bracket looks VERY familiar . . . OEM?

Top pic is of my C5 upgrade, bottom is from thier website.