Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

6LE Harness Bar for 1993-2002 F-Bodies.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 6LE Harness Bar for 1993-2002 F-Bodies.

A thread was started asking for this to be made. The previous design from a different company is no longer available so we are offering our own "6LE Harness Bar" to be used for racing harnesses (not shown in pics)...

Anyways, here's prototype pics:

The FINISHED piece would come with a center support bar that would simply be wedged between this bar and the tranny tunnel. It would NOT be connected so you DON'T have to use it but it is there if you want it and you can even mount it to tranny tunnel if you want.

My guy is only moving forward with these if we get a Group Purchase of 10 put together. Price would be $250 (that includes a $25 mark up for my time) and that would be bare metal.

Shipping is extra and powdercoat is extra. If the GP gets going I can find out how much powder would be and can get it quickly and cheaply in:

Flat Black
Semi-Gloss Black (satin)
Gloss Black

or in Gloss Red IF there is enough who want red (black is cheap because he runs it all the time but red is a $75 minimum).

WORST CASE my guy would probably charge $50 to powder the bar. I would NOT mark up the powder, my only profit is the $25.

So, if you want them, put a list together and start paypaling me:

madelisle@yahoo.com

and put "6LE Harness Bar" in the notes.

You wanted it made, I got it made and I got it made WAYYYYY better looking and functioning than the previous design on the market. Not it is your turn to step up peeps
Old 05-31-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the harness supposed to be attached to the bar?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks real nice. im interested in the seats in that camaro
Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
How is the harness supposed to be attached to the bar?
The ones we have just loop. If you need something else let me know...
Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SHovV
that looks real nice. im interested in the seats in that camaro
Go to my site, I sell them...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

nice piece !!!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

looks just the same as the one i have now, but mine has 2 down bars. the reason i dont like it, is that its too close to the seat. id suggest not making yours so close, because for people like me that use clip-in harnesses, that vastly reduces the room for adjustment, leaving the huge, hot metal sliders right at your collarbone. the LG bar, IIRC, was much shorter, only extending 6-8in at most from the seatbelt mounting points.

also, if you plan on making this, make an option for mounting tabs to bolt eye bolts, for clip in harnesses. having it looped makes the harness near permanent, unless your particular seat has slots big enough to fit the end of the shoulder belts through.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

very nice.
i like the straight forward design.
and very clean looking.
im interested in gettting one, im just on the fence about it,
because i still use my backseats somtimes.....
but like i said, i am interested......
Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

Ok, let's make something clear... This is designed for your SAFETY in mind. The guys who built this know their ****, this is all they do...

Now, notice in these pics where the bar their race cars' harnesses are in relation to the seat...

Safely, your harnesses only have TWO INCHES of stretch. Have a longer harness than that and it is pointless.

Next, those tabs and brackets are HORRIBLE. Just get rid of those dumb brackets (that you loop your harness through and then bolt to the tab on the bar). That one doesn't take a rocket scientist... Do you want your belt webbing against flat metal with an edge or looped around a bar? Looped around bar is less likely to cut...

We can make it however you want to but this is the way that is safest. Also, you want the bar exactly where it is for spine compression. When a harness fits properly, you basically pre-compress your spine to prevent injury during accident.

To be honest, it is already retarded not to do a cage for you to attach your harness to. However, if you want something like this instead this is how it needs to be designed to not do more harm than good God forbid you're in an accident...

Also, my seats go back further than stock seats, they are all the way back in these pics (not reclined obviously)...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the tube 1 3/4" .120 DOM? Any reason for that strong of a tube? Just trying to hold a 250lb man in the seat, not support a 3000lb car on it's roof.

Only a single fastner on each side? I realize that is all the factory seat belt had, but when not in use, that bar will be a rattling, annoying POS. The factory belt has a tab on it that goes into a hole on the car's bracket. Drill a hole and install a second fastner through the hole and the bar mounting flange.

Stock seats don't have shoulder belt guides. Wrap-around style belts will slide out and then off you shoulder. Need something to contain the shoulder straps. I use these on my roll cage.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LNG-22755

As far as tabs vs wrapped goes ... it's a wash on the strength debate. Going through the buckle, the webbing is folded, doubling the web thickness. You lap belts are like that.

If a person wants a tab, then weld the tabs on the back side. Use something like this ...

http://shop.weldtab.com/product.sc?p...0&categoryId=8

... for the necessary loading. Your fabricator should have these in bulk in his shop.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Is the tube 1 3/4" .120 DOM? Any reason for that strong of a tube? Just trying to hold a 250lb man in the seat, not support a 3000lb car on it's roof.
A 250lb man going 90mph+ brought to a sudden stop is a lot of force. Why not err on the side of safety? All we did was use industry standard tubing...

Only a single fastner on each side? I realize that is all the factory seat belt had, but when not in use, that bar will be a rattling, annoying POS. The factory belt has a tab on it that goes into a hole on the car's bracket. Drill a hole and install a second fastner through the hole and the bar mounting flange.
We actually do use two holes. I didn't realize in those top pics they were taken BEFORE we put it in the car to know where to drill the other two...

Stock seats don't have shoulder belt guides. Wrap-around style belts will slide out and then off you shoulder. Need something to contain the shoulder straps. I use these on my roll cage.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LNG-22755
Again, we have no problem adding whatever the customer needs for their application. HOWEVER, you have to understand we built this with REAL racers in mind and real racers have real race seats and want to be as safe as possible...

As far as tabs vs wrapped goes ... it's a wash on the strength debate. Going through the buckle, the webbing is folded, doubling the web thickness. You lap belts are like that.

If a person wants a tab, then weld the tabs on the back side. Use something like this ...

http://shop.weldtab.com/product.sc?p...0&categoryId=8

... for the necessary loading. Your fabricator should have these in bulk in his shop.
It's not a wash at all. There's a reason the tabs are NOT allowed in certain types of racing. AGAIN, we can make it however the customer wants but our main design is for the highest level of safety in mind.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, if we want one of these things, how much should we paypal you, when do we need to do it by. And are you for sure making the piece?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the first production version installed. It will be ONE piece and shortened 5" over the picture above. Also an additional mounting hole is drilled into the base to secure better. Once installed it is VERY firm.

It mounts using the rear seat belt mounts and adds an additional hole /bolt. Its VERY strong 2" steel. My 5pt wrap around harness should be next week. Its sorta a copy of the LG style but much bigger-beefier and stronger. The guys who made it make rollbars and race cars for a living. These harness bars will be made into production soon.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Alright peeps, step up time... What you see is the finished version as it comes (no need for the extra down tube we originally talked about since we shortened it). Who wants one?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT get them while they are hot!!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

Wish you still made these!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts

I finally found one!

Quick Reply: 6LE Harness Bar for 1993-2002 F-Bodies.