Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How do i make my car tighter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the rack itself, you may want to look real close at your inner and outer tie rod ends, your lower ball joints, and your front wheel bearings. Any of these will make the steering have play. If it all checks out ok, have an alignment done with about half a degree neg. camber, 1/16 inch of toe in, and as much caster as possible, even for the right and left sides. Not having sufficient caster will make the steering feel really light going slightly off center. (You really dont want to have any toe out at all if your steering is sloppy, or you will be very busy trying to keep it straight down the highway.)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
well i ordered the UMI front and rear sway bars and they come with energy bushings.... we shall see i guess.
Um, I can't think of a set of bars that doesn't come with new bushings. I know mine do, all all the hardware too. And fwiw, Energy Suspension is a name you know, but knowing the name doesn't always = the best parts. In this case they are mostly ok, but I don't much care for the front mount bushings. I tried to use them in the past but found them to not be durable enough for my liking.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wink

Unfortunately Sam doesn't sell his secret special brew bushings separate from his sways for other manufacturer bars...
:-(

Why do I care? If I get Strano Sways (hoping for a sale ), my SS sways will replace the RS sways, and secret special brew bushings would be nice on both. ;-)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
thanks, i have hotchkis springs, umi LCA, Tq arm, and the front/rear sway bars are on the way, but the steering wheel like turns to freely if that makes any sense? Almost needs like thicker powersteering fluid.
Just an idea, but I had excessive play in my steering wheel. It ended up being loose a arm bolts that needed to be tightened. The alignment shop re-tightened them for me after diagnosing the problem. Solid steering ever since.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like steering components, not suspension components is your issue. Like someone else said, check for slop in the steering column into the rack.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My steering has always been super tight, check your tie rods for play
Old 07-22-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into a strut tower bar if u dont have one alrdy

Quick Reply: How do i make my car tighter?