See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Ball Joint Replacement "How To"?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Ball Joint Replacement "How To"?!?

I need to replace my upper and lower ball joints and have never done it myself. Are there any "how to" articles with pictures out there that could help me out?

Thanks!!

James
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
What you do with the top Ball Joint is drill the rivets and replace them with bolts and screws. And then the lower Ball Joints will have to be pressed out and pressed back in. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
What you do with the top Ball Joint is drill the rivets and replace them with bolts and screws. And then the lower Ball Joints will have to be pressed out and pressed back in. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Thanks or the input Brad. Are the lowers or uppers the worst? I am going to try and get it done over an entire weekend by myself...Can it be done?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

if i were you i would remove my lower a arm and bring it in to a shop with a hydraulic press and have them press out/in the new ball joint rather than attemp to yourself. as for the uppers. the uppers you should be able to do yourself. i know spohn makes nice upper ball joints
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

How long does it typically take to do one lower ball joint? One upper ball joint?

The reason I ask, is because I am tackling this project this weekend, but I need my car on the road by Monday...
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
The reason I ask, is because I am tackling this project this weekend, but I need my car on the road by Monday...
The very first thing you need to do with your car when you finish doing the ball joints is get it to the alignment shop.
Someone with experience would have all 4 done in 1/2 day.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Uppers are super easy. Remove spindle from the joint, chop off the rivets holding it on, bolt new ball joint in place, attach spindle, grease. Done.

Lowers are pressed, as mentioned, so those would suck to try and do yourself. I know someone had frozen his lower joint and heated the lower A arm real hot with a torch, and the joint basically just dropped in with some minor tapping into place. Not sure if I'd attempt such a thing on a tight schedule however.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

I just took off everything in the way of getting to the ball joint. How do you tell if a ball joint is bad? It seems to move very freely, and the rubber looks to be in great shape...

The reason I am doing this is to get rid of a front end creak. When my tires are on the ground, and I turn them, it sounds like an old door creaking. I took it to a local repair shop, the guy looked under the car while I turned the wheel, and he immediately said ball joints...Could he be wrong?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

I just took off everything in the way of getting to the ball joint. How do you tell if a ball joint is bad? It seems to move very freely, and the rubber looks to be in great shape...

The reason I am doing this is to get rid of a front end creak. When my tires are on the ground, and I turn them, it sounds like an old door creaking. I took it to a local repair shop, the guy looked under the car while I turned the wheel, and he immediately said ball joints...Could he be wrong?
You can tell they're bad by doing what he did, listen to them as the wheels are being turned. They should be completely silent without any metal on metal contact, creaking, etc. My brand new Moog joints are very stiff to move with my hands while unbolted from the arms. No strange noises come out of them. If anything, you head a little bit of grease moving around in them.

If yours move very freely, they're definitely worn out. The rubber is just a protective cover to keep the grease in them.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Do you think it could be my rack and pinion? I have heard of similar issues with them...
Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Teching In

I bought a simple ball joint press off of Amazon a few years ago and do my own. I think it cost around 75 bucks and also does a million other things as you can imagine. I plan on doing universal joints with it tomorrow. I think you can rent this tool from your local parts house for the day, and it shouldnt take you that long to do.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Uppers are super easy. Remove spindle from the joint, chop off the rivets holding it on, bolt new ball joint in place, attach spindle, grease. Done.

Lowers are pressed, as mentioned, so those would suck to try and do yourself. I know someone had frozen his lower joint and heated the lower A arm real hot with a torch, and the joint basically just dropped in with some minor tapping into place. Not sure if I'd attempt such a thing on a tight schedule however.
Top is easy like he said, the bottoms however are tack welded in. Mine were anyway. I had to beat mine out. They will have to be pressed in and that is kinda more of a pain. Not hard just a pain in the ***.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Top is easy like he said, the bottoms however are tack welded in. Mine were anyway. I had to beat mine out. They will have to be pressed in and that is kinda more of a pain. Not hard just a pain in the ***.
I got the a arm off of the upper ball joint, but I can't get the damn thing off of the lower ball joint... Is there a trick to it? I tried spraying tons of penetrating oil in there to no avail...Any ideas? Suggestions?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

I got the a arm off of the upper ball joint, but I can't get the damn thing off of the lower ball joint... Is there a trick to it? I tried spraying tons of penetrating oil in there to no avail...Any ideas? Suggestions?
Do you mean you can't get the lower ball joint out of the lower a-arm? Just remove the a-arm and take it to a shop and have them remove it with a press if you don't want to buy the press tool from your local car parts store.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Replacement "How To"?!?