Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Reinstall Torque Arm bolts up instead of down???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reinstall Torque Arm bolts up instead of down???

Anyone done it? My buddy thinks it is OK, but I am a bit of the skeptic because I know my luck...put them in up instead of down, the lock nut lets loose and there goes the TA. If I go that route, should I just tack weld them to the mount? Have a Moser 9" and UMI TA.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been putting them in that way for a long time. Not saying its the correct way but I have not had one issue. I also am running a Moser 9 inch rear. I use anti-seize on the threads and a braker bar to get them tight. I check them fairly often but have yet had a bolt/nut come loose. If a bolt were to come loose it should be easy to feel due to the banging and noise it would cause, so I would think one could catch the loose nut well before the bolt fell out of the torque arm.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We HIGHLY recommend to run the bolts down. Like you mentioned, if the nut comes off and bolt will fall right out. If those bolts come loose it can cause damage to aftermarket torque arms and other things such as the drive shaft. Install the bolts from the top down then tack weld on the nuts, the correct way and with extra insurance

Ryan
Old 06-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97pontta
If a bolt were to come loose it should be easy to feel due to the banging and noise it would cause, so I would think one could catch the loose nut well before the bolt fell out of the torque arm.
One problem: an incorrectly tightened fastener has a much greater chance that it will fail. Fail in this case = SNAP. Granted, that would be the same no matter which way the bolt was installed.

I've only ever installed them with the threads facing down. I've never had a reason to install them any other way - I'm assuming this change in direction would be for ease of install?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Yes, in this case for the ease of installing them back in. I don't like it so I am going to reverse them tonight because of the very reasons mentioned.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can the bolts really be that hard to install down? I don't recall having any trouble at all installing my torque arm. Well, let me correct that, I had a bitch of a time installing the poly bushing into the factory clamshell front mount, but maybe that made the rear bolts seem comparatively easier and they were a bit of a pain as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have one up and one down the closest to motor has nut on top, I have stock torque arm, for some reason such a pita to put that one down, could never get angle right due to clearence issues....maybe the arm just warped lmao
Old 06-15-2010, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We recommend installing them down as well. Take the time and get them installed the correct way and this can save you not only headaches in the future but money as well.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can certainly see the reason for installing the bolts down, and in all honesty, never gave it a thought. Mine are going up, simply because it was the easiest to do, while working on my back, under the car. FWIW, mine have yet to work themselves loose....
Old 06-15-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
One problem: an incorrectly tightened fastener has a much greater chance that it will fail. Fail in this case = SNAP. Granted, that would be the same no matter which way the bolt was installed.

I've only ever installed them with the threads facing down. I've never had a reason to install them any other way - I'm assuming this change in direction would be for ease of install?
I completely agree that if they became loose and were beat up I would definitely not reuse them at that point as they may be fatigued and weakened. I was trying to make the point that I think you would know they were loose long before they fell out and lost the torque arm. I guess I know my car well and all the little noises it makes and can tell almost instantly if something is not right, loose ect.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned

Call me crazy, but I know that a torque arm failure will most likely result in severe damage to vehicle, and possibly injury or death to driver and others.

The bolts probably wouldn't fall out because clearances are tight around there, but why not just be on the safer side?

Bolts are easierto get to if you have the suspension unloaded and the proper tools.

Clearance the tunnel so you can get it right.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
.....Bolts are easierto get to if you have the suspension unloaded and the proper tools.

Clearance the tunnel so you can get it right.
Having the suspension unloaded and hanging is the key to getting the bolts in from the top. 99.9% of the time I've worked on my car, the rear end has either been on jackstands or tall ramps, which are keeping the suspension compressed, and the torque arm up in the tunnel.

I don't think you need to "clearance" the tunnel, just let the rear hang....

Quick Reply: Reinstall Torque Arm bolts up instead of down???