Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Going from solid link control arms and panhard rod to poly ends?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Going from solid link control arms and panhard rod to poly ends?

I have a 9" built by Eric at Midwest Chassis in my 99 Z28. When I got the rear end I also got his solid end control arms and panhard rod. The rearend is awesome and performs well but I do tend to street drive the car on the weekends and the suspension noise from the rear is pretty loud with all of those solid links and no bushings. My question is if I switch out to some adjustable poly BMR control arms and panhard rod to quiet down the suspension in the rear are my launch times going to suffer from it? Right now the car has 60'ed a best of 1.50 with this setup and I don't want to lose that. Any thoughts? Thanks

Tyler
Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
You have to be careful sometimes going from a rod end to a poly especially with a aftermarket rear. Because sometimes a poly bushing can cause a binding issue. If anything I would suggest going with at least a single adjustable poly/rod. Having the poly on the chassis and the rod end on the rear will still eliminate any binding issue and maintain a better ride quality. Below is a link to show you what I am explaining.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...d1r1jbil9j2cv2

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats interesting, I have never heard of the binding issue you speak of with rearends. I guess maybe thats why Eric suggested the solid links, I guess I could just suck it up and deal with it, its not the ride quality that sucks so bad it is the noise. Everyone that rides with me thinks the rear end is going to fall out from under the car. LOL
Old 06-18-2010, 07:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Thats interesting, I have never heard of the binding issue you speak of with rearends. I guess maybe thats why Eric suggested the solid links, I guess I could just suck it up and deal with it, its not the ride quality that sucks so bad it is the noise. Everyone that rides with me thinks the rear end is going to fall out from under the car. LOL
Hello
Yeah unfortunately that is one thing you are going to have to sacrifice. A little noise for performance lets face it sometimes you cant always have the best of both worlds.....lol. Just put turn downs on the car and wear earmuffs..... No but seriously a rod end does offer a more solid ride and the noise you are hearing is completely normal. Just make sure everything is tighten to specs and you should be good to go. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Everyone that rides with me thinks the rear end is going to fall out from under the car. LOL
I get the exact same reactions from passengers in my car as well, but that just obligates me to show them that the rear is in fact very well secured back there.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

With rod-end you really have to make sure the jam-nuts are tight, I've got rod-ends on my front lower (UMI)A-arms and they add very little noise. There's more impact harshness on expansion joints, and snail trails (poorly fixed cracks in the road) but that's it.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The roto-joints are a nice compromise between harshness and binding. and yes, poly DOES bind. just not going in a straight line.

Quick Reply: Going from solid link control arms and panhard rod to poly ends?